Chapter 8

Henry watched Fiona as she expertly dealt with the parking attendant and the bellhop at the boutique hotel where she had booked them. You could say what you wanted about Fiona, but the woman exuded class like her mother. She was wearing natural linen capris pants that flowed loosely around her legs, a loose-fitting matching blouse with a boat neck, and tan platform sandals. Her blond hair was slicked back into a tight knot at the nape of her neck.

The only thing missing was the Audrey Hepburn-style sunglasses.

Henry didn't know what had made him share all that he had with her. It had never seemed important to do so before, but he felt that she needed someone to trust, and she wasn't going to be the one to take that first step. If sharing a little of his history was the first step she needed in trusting him, it was one he was happy to take.

They followed their luggage into the hotel and across the vast and busy lobby to the check-in desk. There they were greeted with a smile by the desk clerk.

"Yes, I have a reservation under Stevens, please," Fiona informed the woman as she returned her smile.

Henry became aware of a woman rushing towards them as the front desk clerk typed the name into her computer.

"Fiona!" a woman squealed. She was a pretty brunette with short wavy hair, a flowy sundress, very high heels, and way too much perfume. Henry could smell her halfway across the lobby.

Fiona leaned in for an air kiss, and Henry was thankful that she didn't hug the woman because she would have smelled for the rest of the day.

"Valerie," Fiona greeted calmly. "Are Becky and Stephanie here yet?"

"Yes, they are in the bar. I was just about to join them, but I texted them when I saw you had arrived. They should be here shortly with the guys." Valerie turned her attention to Henry, her eyes full of questions. It was apparent he was not expected.

"Ms. Stevens, I have two rooms for you, is that correct?" The clerk asked.

Henry sensed Fiona tense.

"No, only one is needed. Perhaps I forgot I booked and booked a second room." Fiona's smile looked strained.

It didn't take a genius to figure out that she had booked two but didn't want Valerie to know.

"Are you sure?" the clerk asked. The woman could tell that Fiona had only made one reservation for two rooms by the way the reservation was made.

"Yes," Fiona assured the clerk, her smile stuck in place.

"That is good news, we are booked solid, and a couple arrived without a reservation hoping to get a room. They spent their honeymoon here 50 years ago and were hoping we could accommodate them. Now we can!" The woman gave Fiona a brilliant smile.

"I'm so glad." Fiona's voice was all pleasure.

The interaction amused Henry because he knew that Fiona was dying a little on the inside at the problem that she had created for herself. A moment later, as Fiona was signing the paperwork, five more people joined their little party.

Fiona hadn't noticed any of them yet, since she was busy getting the rundown on the hotel from the clerk, but Henry took his time to assess them assessing him. He got the impression that his presence was once again a surprise.

There were two other women. Both had blond hair, one with strawberry-colored highlights, and the other was a poor attempt to mimic what came naturally to Fiona. All three women were on the short side, and all three wore similar dresses as if they had planned their wardrobe or shopped together. The men were middle-aged. One seemed to be in decent shape but was balding, one was thin and wore glasses, and the other looked as if he had been cut out of the fashion magazines. Everything about him was perfect, from his teeth to her well-polished shoes.