Chapter 6

Fiona was sitting on the veranda that overlooked the back of the house talking on the phone when she was joined by Henry. She had showered and change into a pretty, yellow sundress in honor of her cousin's visit, and she had to admit that it was nice to wear something feminine for a change.

She noticed that Henry had showered and changed as well. He was wearing a button-down dress shirt and a pair of clean blue jeans. Fiona ignored the little dip in her stomach at the sight of him and forced herself to look away as he drew near.

Her friend Becky was talking a mile a minute in her ear, and she was doing her best to keep up with what she was saying. Becky and her other two college roommates, Valerie and Stephanie, were reuniting in Austin that weekend. Becky had been attempting for the last twenty minutes to get Fiona to join them.

"I insist you come this weekend, Fiona! We haven't seen you in years, and it would be so nice to be together again!" Becky had always been a loud talker, and Fiona was sure that Henry could hear every word.

"I can't get away right now. The ranch is busy," Fiona told her once more.

"What's two days? You're only an hour away. You can drive up on Friday night, spend Saturday, and drive home again on Sunday." Becky planned.

"I -"

"Look, don't say no. Think about it and let me know on Friday, all right?" Becky begged.

"Fine, I'll tell you no on Friday if you like." Fiona smiled.

Becky huffed into the phone then they said their goodbyes.

She really did miss her old roommates and the fun they had had in college. It had been nice to have friends who didn't know her famous family. She had been boring Fiona Stevens, daughter of Dana and Quinn Stevens, ranchers from the Texas Hill country. However, something told her that if they met up again, it wouldn't be the same. All three women were married or engaged, and as the only solo person, Fiona would be the odd woman out.

Not to mention, last time they had gotten together, they had spent the entire trip drinking and trying to find her a man, which had been a painfully embarrassing ordeal.

"Did you get something to drink?" Fiona asked as she turned her attention to Henry, who sat down in the chair next to her.

"I'm fine for now," he assured her as he looked out over the hills. "Why don't you go? It might be good for you to getaway. It would give Roger a chance to run things on his own and feel less micromanaged."

"I do not micromanage!" Fiona insisted. "And you're not going to do the polite thing and pretend you didn't hear that conversation, are you?"

"Nope," Henry shook his head, "I heard every word clear as a bell. A very loud bell." Henry grinned.

Fiona sighed and shook her head in mock sternness.

"Seriously, why don't you go?" he asked again.

"I told you there is too much-"

"No, there's not. Branding is over tomorrow, and everything here is under control. What's the real reason you don't want to go?" he asked, turning all of his attention on her.

The way he looked at her made her feel as if she mattered.

"The truth?" Fiona softly asked, weakened by Henry's concerned look. She was tired of holding things in all the time. It might be nice to share.

"Yes, please." Henry nodded, watching her gather her thoughts.

"I'm the only single one in the bunch, and I always feel like the odd man out." She shrugged. "The last time we got together was two years ago before I took over the ranch. They spent the entire weekend drinking and trying to find me 'a man' as they put it. I'm a long way away from my college days, and I don't want to go back. They do."