Chapter 7

Fiona changed her mind about her and Henry's date at least a dozen times in two days. Henry joined her for coffee in the mornings and worked alongside her during the days, but neither said a word about their upcoming trip to Austin. It had gotten to the point that Fiona had begun to think that she had imagined the entire thing., that was until Becky called to see if Fiona was going to join them. After a brief instant of hesitation, she agreed to meet them in Austin.

Her friend's squeal of delight had almost deafened Fiona. She was in it now, for better or worse.

When the hour of six struck, Fiona was ready to go with her overnight bag packed. She had half hoped half worried that Henry had forgotten, but he was right on time as he took her bag from her while she locked the back door.

His charming smile behind his thick beard made her relax a little. It was only Henry, and she had nothing to worry about. Maybe she would have a little fun.

"Are you looking forward to the few days off?" Henry asked as she started his truck down the drive of the house.

"I think so," Fiona nodded, settling into her seat.

"Why do you only think you will have a good time?" Henry looked over at her with a frown.

Fiona shrugged. "I'm not a very social creature. Remember I told you I was shy?"

"But these are friends from way back?" Henry reminded her.

"Friends whom I haven't seen in over two years. One of whom has a new fiancé that I've never met." Fiona was dreading meeting him. Living in her little bubble on the ranch wasn't helping her social anxiety.

"I'm sure you will be fine," Henry tried to reassure her.

"There is something I need you to keep mum about," Fiona looked over at him, noting his hands on the wheel and how his body took over his side of the truck.

"Sure," Henry agreed before she even told him what she didn't want him to share.

It made Fiona smile. "My friends don't know about my family."

"They don't know about any of them or just the famous ones?" he asked, hitting the nail on the head.

"The famous ones. They know my parents are ranchers, but that's all." Fiona worried her bottom lip nervously. Would he think badly of her because her friends didn't know that side of her? Some would say that it meant her friends weren't really her friends if they didn't know all of her secrets, but no one knew all of her secrets.

Henry nodded. "I get it."

"You think you get it, but you don't really." Fiona shook her head. "I had so many hangers-on in high school that when I went to college, I promised myself I would start over and keep that part of my life secret." Fiona shifted uncomfortably in her seat.

"I get it. When I met your family, I was too young to know that any of them were famous, and when I did find out, I was impressed for a minute, but in the end, they were just my extended aunts and uncles. There is a strong probability that if I had met them later when I realized their fame, my relationship would have been affected by that knowledge. It is something that I have thought about from time to time." Henry pulled the truck out onto the highway and started to pick up speed. "For the record, I don't make a habit of throwing your family's fame around for my own gain."

Fiona immediately felt terrible. "That's not what I meant!" she insisted. Open mouth and insert foot. It was her life story.

"I didn't think you did, but I wanted to assure you that your family's fame is a private matter. I'm sorry, I did it in such a poor manner." Henry shot her a grin.