⭐️1| the dragon's call

♤♡◇♧

♤♡◇♧

"No young man nor woman, no matter how great, can know their destiny. They cannot glimpse their part in the Great Story that is about to unfold. Like everyone, they must live, and learn. And so it will be for the young witch and warlock arriving at the gates of Camelot. A boy and girl that will, in time, father a legend. Their names: Merlin and Aurora."

Merlin smiled, glancing to his left at his slightly younger sister. The day was early, sunlight warming the hard cobblestone path in which the two siblings walked upon. The village they entered was littered with people buying things or carrying baskets. Aurora smiled at the white stone castle that held the King of Camelot, Uther Pendragon. She tightened her grip on Merlin's arm, readjusting the strap to her bag as the pair drifted down the path. A goofy smile slid onto Merlin's face, and he allowed his head to spin around, taking in the unfamiliarity of their surroundings. Aurora lightly fingered the thin ropes tying her red corset around her waist, slipping her finger in and out of the loop of the bow.

A crowd of people were swarmed around a wooden stage in the courtyard of the castle. Royal Guards stood to the side, pounding the drums wrapped around their necks. The grin slid from Merlin's face as he moved through the crowd to see clearly. A man dressed in the stereotypical peasant clothing was led out from a alleyway, escorted by two guards. The peasants parted, letting the man through and up onto the stage.

"Let this serve as a lesson. This man, Thomas James Collins, is adjudged guilty of conspiring to use enchantments and magic. And pursuant to the laws of Camelot, I... Uther Pendragon, have decreed that such practises are banned on penalty of death."

Aurora's face paled, and she snuck a glance at her brother. His face had dropped, eyes betraying his fear. The familiar tingle stung her fingertips, and she swallowed down the urge to let the red streaks free. Once again, the girl wished that her magic was more like Merlins': inconspicuous apart from the momentary flash of gold in his eyes.

"I pride myself as a fair and just King, but for the crime of sorcery, there is but one sentence I can pass."

From a window, a woman stared out at the crowd. Aurora locked eyes with her, admiring the silky black hair and perfect features of the woman. She was clad in royal blue, her stance elegant and regal. Aurora guessed the woman was Morgana Pendragon, Uther's ward.

Uther lowered his head in a nod, and the drumming ceased. Thomas was forced to kneel, placing his head over a small block of wood. His neck was bared to the executioner, who held a sharpened axe in his hands. He raised it over his head, waiting for the King's approval. Merlin breathed out steadily, curling his hands around Aurora's biceps. She was tense against his chest, and he pressed a light, reassuring kiss to her temple. Uther's arm swung down, along with the axe, the sound causing Aurora to wince. The crowd groaned, looking back up to the King.