⭐️8| the beginning of the end

♤♡◇♧

♤♡◇♧

Aurora picked up the handle to the bucket, the familiar cool sting of the metal pressing against her palm. She gripped with both hands and turned back to Gaius' home, noticing the large array of guards swarming from the doors to the castle.

They brushed past her, down to the lower city and she watched after them. More packs of three to four guards were walking the paths of the woods and she frowned in confusion.

Shrugging it off, she moved towards the physician's house. The clash of swords echoed through the archway, and now people were beginning to get curious. Aurora brushed past them all, careful not to drop the bucket, but some sloshed out over the skirt of her dress when she heard it.

A scream. Maybe a young boy, but it circled her head, and nobody had seemed to hear it but her. Someone had been hurt, and it sounded like a boy. Once again, she shook it off, starting to walk again and huffing at her wet skirts.

The towering doors on the archway had begun to creak closed, dragging across the stone floors. The witch glanced over her shoulder to look, and she watched a small boy draped in a deep blue cloak rushing through the door before he turned back to stare at someone as the doors locked shut.

Aurora ignored it, walking home and placing the bucket of water onto the table. Gaius hasn't home, and she believed he was gathering herbs so she just left it, ringing out her dress.

"Help."

The words echoed in her mind like the boy's scream, and she jumped, looking around in fear.

"Help me."

Whoever it was sounded in pain, and Aurora sighed, knowing she could never leave someone who was hurting. She once again left the room, shutting the door and rushing down the stairs with a speed that startled the guards stationed outside.

"Please."

It was louder this time, and louder meant closer. Aurora hiked up her skirts, walking at a leisure pace as not to attract attention. She suspected it was the boy she had seen earlier, and pity flooded her heart.

The witch walked out by the courtyard, scanning the surroundings subtly. She saw Merlin at the staircase, and assumed he had heard the same voice in his own head. She locked eyes with the boy from before; his hood was up and he clutched his arm.

"Please, you have to help me."

His glistening blue eyes burned into hers, and Aurora nodded, moving towards Merlin, who had seen the boy too.

"Help me."

His voice got weaker as she reached her brother.

"Can you hear him?" He asked her, but Aurora was already nodding. The gates had reopened, and a group of guards rushed through. The lead was pointing his men in different directions, looking around as Aurora herself had done mere moments ago.