⭐️10| the moment of truth

♤♡◇♧

♤♡◇♧

The smell of burning awoke Aurora, and she rolled over onto her stomach, burying her face into the soft pillow. There was a clatter and the smashing of plates followed by a distinct slap around the head that she assumed was from Gaius.

The door opened, and she sat up, face immediately brightening with a smile. Merlin stood at the top of the stairs with a small plate in his hands, carrying a poorly decorated cake. He had a big, goofy smile on his face, and Aurora could see Gaius' annoyance with the boy.

"Happy birthday, Rora!" Merlin yelled, plate wobbling in his hands before he put it down on the table at the end of her bed and sitting beside her. Pulling her into his arms, he kissed her head and rubbed her arm.

"Happy birthday, dear." Gaius smiled, placing a candle into the centre of the cake as Merlin's eyes shone, allowing a flame to spark. Aurora could tell Gaius wanted to scold her brother, but he held back when she leaned forward to blow it out.

"Thank you. I wish I could say I felt any different." Aurora laughed, pulling the sheets over her body again as Merlin stood to his feet, grabbing the cake.

"We'll leave you to get changed. There's a box under my bed, if you wanted to have a look." Merlin winked dramatically, causing his sister to burst out in a fit of laughter before the two men left the room, shutting the door behind them.

Aurora stood to her feet, shivering as the cold wood touched her skin and she stretched her arms above her head. Sunlight shone through the small window, nothing but blue skies and a perfect day.

She reached under Merlin's bed, pulling out a large white box that he had brought with him from Ealdor all those months ago. Aurora assumed it to be books of some kind, not realising Merlin had planned for her 17th in advance.

Sliding off the lid, decorated with a strip of red ribbon for a bow, she gasped in shock at the content. Aurora pulled it out, standing to her feet and letting it hang in front of her body. She immediately recognised the stitching and mentally thanked Rosalind back home.

The dress was a soft pink, tight at the torso with embroidered flowers and swirls with a flowing skirt that dragged along the floor when the wearer walked. The skirt was layered, the bottom being the same pink as the top and a full soft material, the second being a see-through pink linen.

The third, however, was definitely her favourite. Much like the torso and second layer, it was see-through and glittered with tiny sparkles that lead to flowers and patterns between them. Two off the shoulder sleeves made the final aspect to the stunning dress, causing Aurora's green eyes to swim with tears.

A note fell to the floor as the dress was removed, and Aurora placed it down over her bed to collect the discarded paper.

Aurora,