⭐️14| the curse of cornelius sigan

♤♡◇♧

♤♡◇♧

Dim light shone through the window, casting a silhouette of the window frame against the cold floor. A gentle chill slipped through the cracks, whistling a merry tune as it attempted to sink into the thin material of Aurora's blanket.

The witch shivered softly, rolling onto her back and tugging the blanket up higher over her body. Her eyes blinked open, and she sighed, sitting up and clutching the material to her chest. The rhythmic pounding of the miners echoed throughout the entire Kingdom.

Merlin's bed was empty and unmade, and Aurora assumed he had been forced to stay with Arthur for the night. She shivered, groaning as she dropped back into her warm bed, pressing the sides of her pillow over her ears in an attempt to muffle the noise.

The door creaked open, and Aurora watched her brother walk quietly around to the side of her bed. He gave her a small grin, and Aurora rolled her eyes.

"Unless we're telling those bastards to shut up, go away." She whispered, and Merlin's smile became genuine.

"Come on then." He shrugged, standing from his crouch as he placed Aurora's boots and jacket beside her. She huffed, but stood anyway, moving behind the screen as she changed. Merlin promptly exited the room, and she came down to join him moments later.

The two walked through the freezing caves, and Aurora mentally cursed at the fact that she had never thought to sew herself a warmer jacket. The tunnels were lit very softly by flickering candlelight, and Merlin pulled one off from the cave wall.

A man raced past, and others soon followed as their yells bounced from the cave walls. Aurora stumbled back, watching in confusion until the mines were empty and bare of people beside her and Merlin.

"What the heck?" She mumbled, walking down the path the men had just taken behind Merlin, casting brief looks back over her shoulder. Her eyes travelled over the ridges in the walls, discarded pickaxes left in the dust.

"Hey, Rora." Merlin called her over, peeking through a gap in the wall on his side. Aurora looked over his shoulder, peering in as Merlin clambered through, torchlight hitting every corner. It seemed to be some sort of tomb.

Aurora slipped through the hole, looking over the piled treasuries and golden jewellery in fascination. In the centre stood a large coffin, carved to look like a man's face at one end. A glistening blue stone was clasped in the middle of his chest.

"Holy smokes." Aurora ran a gentle hand over the coffin, wiping her palm of dust as Merlin stumbled. A man was knelt by the coffin side, facing away from them both. Merlin rested a hand on his shoulder.

"Hello?"

The man fell, landing on his back, and Aurora gasped. His face was littered with black veins leading up to his eyes. Dark pupils stared up at her, blood bubbling in his eye sockets. His mouth was wide open as he clutched out for air.