The Marriage of Queen of Jannah: Hadrat Fathimah az Zahra (R.A.)

In the Name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful

‘Peace and Blessings of Allah be upon our beloved Prophet Muhammad (s.a.s), his blessed descendents and noble companions.’

                                                                      Aameen.

The Marriage of Rasool a Kareem SAW’s daughter: Queen of Jannah: Hadrat Fathima az Zahra (R.A.)

When Hadrat Fatimah (R.A.) was 15 years old (and of marriageable age), Hadrat Abu Bakr (R.A.) and Hadrat ‘Omar (R.A.) sent proposals to Rasool SAW to marry Hadrat Fatimah.

Rasulullah SAW however declined, for the reason that she was still young in age.

N.B.: Hadrat Fatimah (R.A.) had turned 15 when proposals for her marriage began to come from high and noble families. But our Nabi SAW remained irresponsive.

Hadrat Ali (R.A.) was at that time 21 years of age. He has related: ‘It occurred to me that I should go and make a formal proposal, but then I thought “How could this be accomplished, for I possess nothing.”

At last, encouraged by the Prophet SAW’s kindness I went to him and expressed my intention. Rasulullah SAW was pleased and, accepting the proposal, asked:

“Ali, do you possess any riches?”

I replied, “Apart from a horse and a shield I possess nothing.”

He SAW said, “A soldier must of course, have his horse. Go and sell your shield.”

Hadrat ‘Ali (R.A.) went and sold his shield for 400 dirhams. Thereafter, Rasulullah SAW called Hadrat Bilal (R.A.) and asked him to bring ‘Itr’ (non-alcoholic perfume) and a few other things and sent Hadrat Anas (R.A.) to call Hadrat Abu Bakr, ‘Uthman, Zubair (R.A.) with some men of the Ansar.

When these men arrived and had taken their seats, Rasulullah SAW recited the Khutba of Nikah and gave Hadrat Fatimah (R.A.) in Nikah quite simply to Hadrat Ali (R.A.).

The Prophet SAW said: “Bear you all witness, I have given Fatimah to ‘Ali for 400 mithqals of silver and ‘Ali has accepted.” He SAW then raised his head and made Du‘a.

Hadrat Fatimah (R.A.) was sent without any clamor, hue and cry in the company of Hadrat Umme Aiman (R.A.).

Rasulullah SAW himself visited them and made du‘a for them and asked for a basin of water in which he blew after reciting Qul-huwAllaahu Ahad, Al-Falaq and An-Nas and then sprinkled on both Hadrat ‘Ali (R.A.) and Hadrat Fatimah (R.A.).

Rasulullah SAW gave Hadrat Fatimah (R.A.) a silver bracelet, 2 Yemeni sheets, 4 mattresses, one blanket, one pillow, one cup, one hand grinding mill, one bedstead, a small water skin and an earthen pitcher.

Nabi SAW advised them that Hadrat Fatimah (R.A.) should take care of the work of indoors, while Hadrat ‘Ali (R.A.) should perform the outdoor work.

In this simple fashion the wedding of the daughter of the leader of both the worlds took place.

Thus, in following the Sunnat style, a wedding becomes so simple and easy to fulfill.