Sunnats of the Night Part-2

In the Name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful

 ‘Peace and Blessings of Allah be upon our beloved Prophet Muhammad (s.a.s), all his blessed descendents and noble companions.’

                                                                     -Aameen.

Sunnats of the Night (Continuation)

S.31. To keep the musalla (prayer mat) for tahajjud prayer besides the head before sleeping. (Nisa’i)

S.32. To comb the hair before sleeping. (S.K.-Vol. 1: Pg. 341)

S.33. Postures of sleeping:

a) To sleep on the right side facing towards the qibla. 

This is the Sunnah of Nabi (S.A.W) and the method of the ulama. This is the best manner of sleeping.

b) To sleep on ones back. This is the method of the prophets.

They used to lie in this fashion and ponder about the creation of Allah. This method of sleeping is permissible as long as there is no fear of exposing ones satr, i.e. those parts of the body that are compulsory to be covered all the time.

c) To lie on the left side. It assist’s in digestion. 

This is the manner in which the kings and the rich used to sleep. This method of sleeping is allowed but not preferable.

d) To sleep on one’s stomach. This is the satan’s method of sleeping and that of the dweller of hell. 

This method of sleeping is prohibited. (S.K. - Vol. l : Pg. 346)

S.34. One should not sleep in any such place that could become a means of inconvenience to others.

e.g. a. on any road or pathway;

b. in front of doorways;

c. in the midst of a gathering, etc. (S.K. - Vol. l : Pg. 347)

S.35. Hazrat ‘Aa’isha (R.A.) narrates that if Nabi was in need of ghusl (Bath) then he used to do the following before sleeping:

a. Wash his private parts;

b. Make Wudu if water was available; and

c. If water was not available he used to make tayyamum. (Baihaqi- S.K. - Vol. 1 : Pg. 347)

S.36. Nabi (S.A.W) prohibited sleeping all alone in any house, flat, etc. (Ahmad- S.K.-Vol. 1 : Pg. 349)

Note: Some benefits of this advise are:

a. If people are around, even due to loneliness one would not feel afraid.

b. In the event of any freak accident or occurrence, help would be at hand.

c. Loneliness affects sound sleep.

S.37. Our Nabi (S.A.W) prohibited sleeping on such a roof top that does not have a safety wall. (Abu Dawud- S.K.-Vol. 1: Pg. 349)

S.38. Nabi (S.A.W) has advised not to sleep with dirty hands. (Abu Dawud- S.K. - Vol. 1 : Pg. 350)