Sunnats Pertaining To Sickness And Cure

In the Name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful

‘Peace and Blessings of Allah be upon our beloved Prophet Muhammad (s.a.s), his blessed descendents and noble companions.’

                                                                      Aameen.

Sunnats Pertaining To Sickness And Cure

S.1. Nabi SAW has said that every sickness has a cure. (Muslim)

S.2. Our Nabi SAW used to resort to treatment himself when he fell ill and he also encouraged others to have treatment (when ill) saying: “Allah has sent down sickness and for each sickness there is a cure except one.” When asked which one Prophet SAW replied: “Old age.” (Tirmidhi)

S.3. Nabi SAW used to advise the patient to employ the services of a skillful and proficient doctor. He also advised the sick to control their diet (i.e. not to eat those things which shall have an adverse effect on one’s health). (Zadul-Ma ‘ad)

S.4. Nabi SAW has said that Allah SWT has not put a cure for us in haram things. (Ibid)

S.5. Our Nabi SAW did not set any specific day or time for visiting the sick but rather, He SAW used to visit them whenever he found the opportunity to do so. (Ibid)

S.6. One should, whilst visiting the sick, refrain from making a noise but should sit quietly and with dignity. One should also not stay for too long, when doing so. (Mishkat)

S.7. Our Nabi SAW used to position himself close to the patient (when visiting the sick) and sit by his bedside and ask the patient: “How are you feeling?” (Ibid)

S.8. Nabi SAW used to place his hand on the patient’s head when visiting him. (Hisn)

S.9. Our beloved Prophet SAW has said that one should, as far as possible, give the patient whatever he asks for as long as the item requested is not harmful (to the patient). (Ibid)

S.10. Our Nabi SAW has said that when visiting a patient one should try to make him happy (for example one could say: “In sha-Allah, you have still got long to live.” This, of course, will not affect what is pre-destined for the patient but it will make him feel comforted). (Tirmidhi)

S.11. Rasulullah SAW would sometimes place his blessed hand on the patient’s forehead and then pass his hand over the patient’s chest and stomach whilst making the following Du‘a:

 “O Allah! Give him shifa (cure).”

At times Nabi SAW used to tell the patient:

“There is nothing to worry about. In sha-Allah everything shall come alright.”

Nabi SAW used to sometimes say to the patient:

“This sickness is a ‘Kaffarah’, an expiation (wiping off, or cleansing) of the sins.” (Zadul-Ma ‘ad)