Sunnats of Majlis (Gathering)

In the Name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful

‘Peace and Blessings of Allah be upon our beloved Prophet Muhammad (s.a.s), his blessed descendents and noble companions.’

                                                                      Aameen.

SUNNATS OF A MAJLIS (GATHERING)

S.1. Allah SWT should be remembered in every gathering, and in every majlis (gathering) to recite durood shareef at least once. (S.K. -Vol. 4 :Pg. 225)

S.2. To welcome the one coming into the gathering.

(S.K.-Vol. 4 :Pg. 210)

S.3. To smile at the one coming into the gathering so as to make the newcomer comfortable. (S.K. - Vol. 4: Pg. 210)

S.4. To greet when entering and leaving any gathering. (S.K.-Vol. 1 :Pg.217)

S.5. Generally our Nabi SAW did not sit cross legged, however after the Fajr Salah until Ishraq, for purposes of ease, he sat cross legged. (AbuDawud-S.K. - Vol. 4 : Pg. 233)

S.6. To sit on a chair and teach those in a gathering. (Muslim - S.K. - Vol. 4 : Pg. 234)

Note: Our Nabi SAW sat on a chair in the Masjid whilst teaching.

S.7. Our Prophet SAW would not sit with his knees extending beyond that of his companions but they would be in line with those in the gathering. (This was due to our Nabi’s SAW’s humility). (Ibn Majah-S.K. -Vol.4: Pg.236)

S.8. One should sit at any place in a gathering, (i.e. wherever there is place and not force oneself close to the speaker). (S.K.-Vol. 4 : Pg. 207-208)

S.9. It is not permissible for a person to sit, in a gathering, between two people without their permission. (Abu Dawud - S.K. - Vol. 4 : Pg. 217)

S.10. It is incorrect to remove any person from his seat and to sit in his place. (Bukhari -S.K.-Vol.4-.Pg.2l8)

S.11. If two people are sitting and discussing not to join in that gathering but with their permission. (S.K. - Vol. 4 : Pg. 217)

S.12. To sit close together and not far apart. (Abu Dawud)

S. 13. If any person comes into a gathering, then out of respect to make place for him, this will make the newcomer feel accepted. (It is, therefore, a Sunnah even if there is place in the gathering). (S.K. - Vol. 4: Pg. 208-209)

Note: One should also adopt those forms of respect that are acceptable in society (and not contrary to the Shari‘at). (S.K. - Vol. 4: Pg. 209)

S.14. If there are three people in a gathering it is wrong for two of them to talk in a language which is foreign to the third. (Bukhari)

S.15. When Nabi SAW intended to leave any gathering, in which he participated, he would recite Istigfaar 20 times. (Ibn Sunni - S.K. — Vol. 4 : Pg. 233)

In one narration, the following Istigfaar is reported:

Astaghfirullahal-ladhi La Ilaaha Illa Huwal-hayyul qayyumu Wa Atuubu Ilaihi.

“I seek forgiveness of Allah, there is no deity worthy of worship besides Him, Who is Alive and Everlasting and I turn towards Him.”

S.16. Our Nabi SAW would participate in the discussion that was carrying on in any gathering whether pertaining to worldly matters or the hereafter. (S.K. - Vol. 4: Pg. 210-211)

S. 17. Nabi SAW has said that the recital of the following du‘a before standing up from any gathering is a means of forgiveness of the sins committed in that gathering:

(Tirmidhi- S.K. - Vol. 4 : Pg. 229)

Subhanallahi Wa Bihamdihi Subhanakal-laahumma Wa

Bihamdika Wa Ashhadu Al-laa ilaaha Illa Anta

Astaghfiruka Wa Atuubu Ilaik.

“Glory be to Allah and Praise be to Him. O Allah! I glorify and Praise You and testify that there is none worthy of worship but You and seek Your forgiveness and I turn to You”

S.18. The Sahabah (R.A.) used to stand up, out of respect, when our Nabi SAW stood up upon the completion of the majlis. (S.K. - Vol. 4 : Pg. 21)

S.19. It is preferable to stand up to honour one’s elders like parents, educators etc. when they come into an gathering. (Shami - S.K. - Vol. 4: Pg. 21)

A/N ;)

Such beautiful Sunnats aren’t they? Oh if we learn and try to follow each and every Sunnah, I think that’s enough to mould our character finely. And the icing on the cake is we not only earn respect in this world, but awesome rewards in the hereafter too :D May Allah SWT make us follow the Sunnah style in every thing! Aameen Summa Aameen :))

With Duas and Salaam,

abdurRahman (Gudi ;))