Sunnats Pertaining to Hair!

In the Name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful

‘Peace and Blessings of Allah be upon our beloved Prophet Muhammad (s.a.s), his blessed descendents and noble companions.’

                                                                      Aameen.

SUNNATS PERTAINING TO THE HAIR

S.1. Our Nabi (S.A.W)’s hair used to be either:

a) Up to mid ear; (Bukhari - S.K. - Vol. 1 : Pg. 477)

b) Up to the tip of his ear; (Bukhari-S.K.-Vol. 1 :Pg.477)

c) Up to his shoulders.

Our Nabi (S.A.W) would not let his hair extend beyond the shoulders. (S.K. - Vol. 1: Pg. 477-478)

S.2. Nabi (S.A.W) mostly kept hair on his head. It is narrated that our Prophet (S.A.W) shaved his head only on four occasions:

a. At the time of Hudaibiyah;

b. After performing the missed Umrah;

c. After performing Umrah from Jar‘anah;

d. After performing his farewell Hajj. (S.K.-Vol. 1 : Pg. 482-484)

S.3. When keeping long hair then to have a straight, centre parting (in the middle). (S.K. - Vol. 1 : Pg. 483-484)

S .4. It is also permissible not to have any parting, though to have a centre path is preferable. (S.K. - Vol. l : Pg. 484)

S.5. When shaving the head one should begin from the right.

The entire right side should be shaved first and thereafter, one should commence shaving the left side.

(Muslim - S.K. - Vol. 1 : Pg. 485)

Note: It is Makrooh (disliked) to shave the hair of the nape.

(S .K .-V o l. 1 :P g . 496-497)

S.6. It is also permissible to shorten the hair by means of a scissors. (Muslim - S.K. - Vol. 1 : Pg. 485)

However, one should ensure that the hair is not unevenly cut.

Note: It is not permissible for ladies to shorten or trim their locks. (S .K.-Vol. 1: Pg. 499)

S.7 Nabi (S.A.W) told the Sahabah (R.A.) to honour their hair.

(Mishkat - S.K. - Vol. 1 : Pg. 486)

Note: Honouring the hair means to keep it clean, oiled, neatly groomed and not to leave it disheveled.

S.8 Our Nabi (S.A.W) prohibited untidiness in the keeping of hair on one’s head and beard. (Mishkat-S.K.-Vol. 1 : Pg. 486-487)

S.9 Nabi (S.A.W) used to oil his hair very often. To prevent his ‘topi’ and ‘amaamah’ from staining he had a special cloth that was used to prevent other garments from being stained. (S.K. - Vol. 1 : Pg. 487)

S.10. Before sleeping and upon awakening Nabi (S.A.W) used to make Miswak, wudu and comb his hair.

(S.K.-Vol. 1 : Pg. 489-490)

Note: It is prohibited to comb the hair merely for fashion and show.

However, it will not be wrong to comb the hair if it is unkempt.

S.11. The comb of Nabi (S.A.W) was made from elephant’s teeth. (S.K.-Vol. 1 : Pg. 493)

S.12. When Nabi (S.A.W) intended to put oil on his hair, he used to place the oil on his left palm and with his fingers he would firstly smear a little oil on his eyebrows and then on the eyelids and lastly put oil on the head. (S.K.-Vol. 1 : Pg. 488)

S.13. Our Nabi (S.A.W) has advised that after cutting the hair and nails it should be buried so that it may not be used in witchcraft. (S.K. - Vol. 1: Pg. 493-494)

S.14. For children it is preferable not to keep long hair.

(Abu Dawud - S.K. - Vol. 1 : Pg. 494)

S.15. The hair of our beloved Nabi (S.A.W) would not extend below the shoulders. It is prohibited for males to keep hair that extend below the shoulders. (S.K. - Vol. l : Pg. 496)

S.16. Our Nabi (S.A.W) has prohibited the adding of hair extensions to one’s own hair. (Nasai- S.K.-Vol. l : Pg. 497)

S.17. Our Nabi (S.A.W) used a mirror when combing his beard or hair. (S.K.-Vol. 1 : Pg. 511-512)

A/N ;)

I swoon, drool and go crazy when I see long hair, in ladies of course ;D Hope these were most beneficial Insha Allah!

 With Duas and Salaam,

abdurRahman (Gudi ;))