Sunnats regarding Hospitality to Guests

In the Name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful

‘Peace and Blessings of Allah be upon our beloved Prophet Muhammad (s.a.s), his blessed descendents and noble companions.’

                                                                      Aameen.

SUNNATS REGARDING HOSPITALITY

TO GUESTS

These Sunnats are divided into three categories

(i) Those relating to unexpected guests;

(ii) Those relating to invited guests;

(iii) Those sunnats relating to both such guests.

A. Sunnats Regarding The Unexpected Guest:-

S. 1. One should not go to another’s house at meal times.

It is narrated in one Hadith that Nabi SAW has said that it is forbidden to partake of the meals of another without being invited to do so. However, it is permissible and a Sunnat to go to the house of one’s true friend without an invitation and to partake of meals there.

S.2. One may place before an unexpected visitor whatever one has available (by way of food). However, one should not take a loan to obtain provisions for such visitor. (Baihaqi - S.K. - Vol. 1 : Pg. 185)

S.3. If one does not have excess provisions then it is not necessary to feed the visitor.

S .4. Nabi SAW has said that it is a major sin to regard that which the host presents as little and mean or for the host himself to feel it low to offer it to his guest.

(At-Targhib - S.K. - Vol. 1 : Pg. 183)

B. Sunnats Regarding The Invited Guest:-

S. 1. The host should invite only pious people and not sinners as the latter shall spread wrong and sin. *

* Here feeding refers to a meal by invitation and not food given to needy persons. As regards the feeding of a needy person, Allah has praised the feeding of even a captive and in those days only non-believers used to be in captivity.

Furthermore, from the Hadith we learn that a lewd woman was granted divine pardon simply for quenching the thirst of a dog. Rasulullah SAW has given a clear cut

rule that there is a reward for good treatment given to any living being whether pious or not, humans or animals.

Hence in the case of need regarding food, the one who needs it will not matter but how urgent and severe the need is, will count. The greater the need the larger the

reward from Allah. If the food is provided through an invitation for the intention of meeting some religious need then the reward will be in proportion to the nature and degree of the good in view. If however, there is no special religious interest, the extent of reward for feeding someone will depend on the degree of the piety of the invitee (guest). (Adapted from Fazaile Sadaqaat by Sheik-ul-Hadith Maulana Zakaria (A.R)).