Sunnats of Gifts ♥

In the Name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful

‘Peace and Blessings of Allah be upon our beloved Prophet Muhammad (s.a.s), his blessed descendents and noble companions.’

                                                                      Aameen.

SUNNATS OF GIFTS 

S.1. Both to give and receive gifts is Sunnah.

{Bukhari - S.K. - Vol. 2: Pg. 104-105)

Note: The primary purpose of giving gifts is to make the recipient happy and to obtain his love and thereby be honoured with the du‘a and supplications of the recipient. The obtaining of reward is secondary.

Contrary to this is ‘Sadaqah’ where the primary objective is reward.

Gifts, therefore, may be given to the rich and wealthy also whereas ‘Sadaqah’(charity) may not. (S.K.-Vol.2:Pg. 104-105)

S.2. Nabi SAW has said that the giving and taking of gifts increases mutual love and removes malice. (S.K. - Vol. 2: Pg. 107)

S.3. Our Prophet SAW has said that gifts received without asking or having any secret desire for it (Ishraaf) should be accepted and not returned. (Ibn Hibban-S.K.-Vol.2 :Pg. 116)

Note: Care should be taken that presents and gifts are not given on such occasions as wedding anniversaries and birthdays as this is tantamount to emulation of the non-muslims which Nabi SAW has prohibited.

S.4. Gifts should be given in secrecy. However, it is preferable for the recipient to mention the gift to others. (S.K. - Vol. 2 : Pg. 127)

Note: It is clear from the above that it is not permissible for either the bride or the bridegroom’s party to display the gifts that they intend giving to the other party during wedding’s.

S.5. If the gift is not cash (money), then one should give such a present as will be most useful and beneficial for the recipient. (S.K.-Vol. 2: Pg. 108)

S.6. One should not mention any of one’s personal needs before or even after giving a gift. (S.K. - Vol. 2: Pg. 129)

S.7. One should not give so much as will become difficult for the recipient to accept. (S.K.-Vol. 2: Pg. 129)

S.8. One should not talk or boast of one’s gesture after giving a present.

S.9. When giving gifts to one’s children it is preferable (mustahab) to give all the children equally. (Bukhari - S.K. - Vol. 2: Pg. 82)

Note: However, due to any virtue or other reason it is permissible to give one child more than another as Hadrat Abu Bakr (R.A.) gave more to Hadrat Aa’isha (R.A.) than his other children. (Tahaawe - S.K. - Vol. 2 : Pg. 82)