Sunnats of Dressing Part-1

In the Name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful

‘Peace and Blessings of Allah be upon our beloved Prophet Muhammad (s.a.s), all his blessed descendents and noble companions.’

                                                                              -Aameen.

 SUNNATS OF DRESSING

Our Nabi (S.A.W)’s ‘wardrobe’ consisted only of a minimum number of garments that he needed and actually wore. These were frequently patched and had to be repeatedly washed as his wardrobe was very spare.

S.1. Nabi (S.A.W) liked wearing kurta (long shirt) most.

Nabi (S.A.W)’ sleeves reached up to his wrists and the collar or neckline of his kurta was towards the middle of his chest. Once when the buttons of Nabi (S.A.W) kurta was open a companion (R.A), for the sake of acquiring blessing, inserted his hand in Nabi (S.A.W)'s kurta and touched the seal of Prophet.  (S.K.- Vol.1:Pg.260)

S.2. Our Prophet (S.A.W)’s kurta used to be above his ankles, reaching up to his mid-calf.(Ibn Majah)

S.3. The sleeves of the kurta of Nabi (S.A.W) used to reach up to his wrists. (Tirmidhi)

S.4. Rasulullah (S.A.W) encouraged the usage of buttons even if it were thorns. (S.K.- Vol:Pg.261)

S.5. Nabi (S.A.W) liked performing Salah whilst wearing a leather waist coat that had short sleeves. (Ibn Asakir - S.K. - Vol.1: Pg.264)

S.6. Our Nabi (S.A.W) bought trousers but did not have the opportunity to wear them. (Tabrani-S.K.-Vol. 1 :Pg. 284-285)

S.7. Rasulullah (S.A.W) encouraged the ladies to wear pants especially when they venture outdoors. (S.K.-Vol. 1: Pg. 287)

S.8. Our Nabi (S.A.W)’s clothes consisted of sheet, lungi (loincloth), kurta (long shirt) and amamah (turban). He also had a cloth (towel) with which he dried his face etc. after Wudu. He liked striped sheets. 

He (S.A.W) used to wear a topi (skull cap/kufi) below the amamah and sometimes he used to wear only the topi. Sometimes it (the amamah) had a tail and and at other times it did not have a tail. The tail of the amamah (turban) used to fall between the shoulders at his back.

Rasulullah (S.A.W) wore a quba (long coat) also. Our Nabi (S.A.W)’s lower garment used to end between the knee and the ankle.

Rasulullah (S.A.W)’s sheet (shawl) was red striped. He also wore green and black woollen sheets (shawls) with or without embroidery. In some narrations it is stated that Nabi (S.A.W)’s personal life never changed even when he became the master of the whole of Arabia and Syria. His personal life continued to be austere.

He used to say, “I am only a servant and dress myself like one.”

The most important Sunnah in our Nabi (S.A.W)’s dressing was convenience and informality and he did not care for any particular kind or quality of clothing. He mostly wore cotton clothing but at times he also wore expensive clothing. He had an expensive outfit which he wore for Jumu'ah and the two ‘Eids and whilst meeting outside delegations.