Sunnats of Conjugal Relations

In the Name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful

‘Peace and Blessings of Allah be upon our beloved Prophet Muhammad (s.a.s), his blessed descendents and noble companions.’

                                                                      Aameen.

A/N ;)

Please refrain from reading if you are under thirteen unless of course you are already married or planning to very soon!

SUNNATS OF CONJUGAL RELATIONS

Intercourse is a necessity for man without which his life becomes difficult. Allah SWT has kept benefit and reward in this also. Therefore, our beloved Nabi SAW has said: “To have ‘Relations’ with one’s wife is charity and a means of reward.” The Sahabah questioned: “O Rasulullah SAW ! Is there a reward for fulfilling one’s carnal desires also?” Our Nabi SAW replied: “Had he satiated his desire in a wrong place would he not have had sinned?” the Sahabah replied: “Yes”. Nabi SAW then said that in order to safeguard one’s self from sin, one will undoubtedly merit reward.

S.1 To have “physical relationships” only with one’s wife. (Muslim, Ibn Majah)

S.2 To joke and play with one’s wife - i.e. to indulge in foreplay. (Tirmidhi)

S.3 “Physical relationships” should not be indulged on an empty stomach nor on a full stomach or with the urge for relieving oneself, (i.e. to go toilet) (Tohfatun-Nikah)

S.4 “Physical relationships” should be engaged in complete privacy. It should not be enjoyed even in the presence of babies— yes—it will be alright if they are asleep. (Ibid)

S.5 A sheet, eiderdown, etc. should be used to cover both partners whilst having “physical relationships”. (Ibid)

S.6 One should not face the qibla during “physical relationships”. (Ibid)

S.7 To make ‘Miswak’ before “physical relationships”.

S. 8 To read the following du‘a before “physical relationships”:-

 Bismillahi Allahumma Jannibnash-shaitana Wa Jannibishshaitaana

Maa Razaqtanaa.

 “In the name of Allah, O Allah! Save us from the mischief of Shaitan and keep shaitan far from the children You (may) bless us with.”

S.9 Not to talk whilst in the act of “physical relationships”. (Ibid)

S. 10 Not to think (fantasize) of any person besides one’s wife whilst having “physical relationships”. To think of any other person is tantamount to ‘zina’- (adultery). (Ibid)