Chapter 14- Earthquakes

(~Your Memory~)

I awoke to the sound of dishes shattering in the kitchen. My bed is shaking. I sat up, panicked.

'What's going on?!'

The entire house shook violently, causing things to fall off the shelves. All the lights begin to flicker. It's an earthquake, again.

I don't understand why these tremors keep happening for the past year but it's caused so much trouble for the town already. Also panicked, I hear my (cat/dog) making all sorts of commotion in the hall.

Hurriedly, I get up but nearly lose my footing. The ground is shaking beneath me, making it hard to do so much as stand up straight. Fortunately, my bed is close enough to one of the walls so I can support myself.

As I made my way into the hall, the tremors got worse. So bad that windows in the living room and kitchen suddenly shattered. More dishes spilled out of counters and shattered on the kitchen floor. Picture frames fall off the walls. The bookshelf in my bedroom fell over with a loud crash. I scream, turning away from it all.

The shaking abruptly stops as if it had never happened. The night view outside is completely silent. I stand there, still in disarray. In a fast blur, (Pet name) darts out of the house through the open back door.

'HECK- I SHOULD'VE FIXED THAT LOCK!'

Never really used the back door that much because the lock is useless. (Pet name) isn't allowed to go back through there because the backyard isn't fenced. It's only forests and Mount Ebott back there. Considering how animals are when spooked, my worst fear is that (Pet name) will run out there and get lost or hurt.

Without a second thought, I speed after them, calling it's name in a frightened and urgent tone. Normally, they would listen to me but they're already running into the woods by the time I got out of the house.

Determined to catch them, I continue to run in that direction. Hopefully I'm going down the same path it took. Running around in the dark, it wasn't long until I completely lost sight of them.

Now in tears, I desperately cry out their name. In the middle of the chaos, I got myself lost. I continued running anyway, hoping to find some sort of way to get back. Stumbling through the dark without a phone or flashlight was definitely not my best move.

'Seriously, this night can not get ANY WORSE.'

I was about to eat my words because then it did. I wasn't watching where I was walking. The loose soil and tree roots below me gave out, revealing a large endless pit that was hidden below. All I can do is scream as I'm swallowed up into the darkness.

(~End Memory~)

I gasp, waking up in the middle of the night. The house is shaking.

'Where am I?'

This isn't my house. It's not my room. It's Sans' room.

'Right... I'm here..'

My head is still in a daze. A migraine blocks my thoughts. Because of how intense it got so fast, my breathing speeds up. In a panicked state, it took me a moment to realize Killer was leaning over me. He looks worried, more focused on me than the situation going on around us.

He cups his hand around one of my cheeks, "Shh, it's alright Y/N. It'll pass." Just as fast as the memory went, I could feel it slipping away.

'Why am I so panicked? What's happening? What was that dream?'

It hurt to try and keep the memory. My brain is trying to lock it away again. I wince and shut my eyes. I can't block it out.

'Why? Why won't this splitting migraine go away?!'

I groan, turning away onto my side. It still didn't help. Everything shaking and the loud rumbling definitely isn't helpful either.

After a moment, the earthquake finally stops. I curl up, my knees in front of my chest and my hands grabbing at my head. The pain is still beating into my skull. That's all I can process. All sounds of voices are muffled because of the harsh ringing in my ears.

(~Killer's POV~)

I grab her shoulder, calling out again, "Y/N..! Y/N, what's wrong?" She doesn't respond to my voice or my touch.

'Can she even hear me?'

Dust rushes in, his expression full of concern, "You felt that too? You two alright?" "The core's malfunctioning. I'll have to check it out tomorrow. I'm okay but Y/N's been freaked out since she woke up." I answer him, then turn back to Y/N.

Her breathing is staggering. N/N lets out small whimpers as she tries to hold her breath. She still won't open her eyes or let go of her head.

'Is something hurting her?'

"Do ya need some help?" Dust offers, taking a step closer. "I'll come get you if it gets any worse but I think I can handle it. Go check on Horror and make sure he's fine." Dust chuckles, "I already looked. The numbskull slept through it. Well, good luck." Dust closes the door and returns to Pap's room.

Now, my full focus has to be on Y/N. She's not hyperventilating, which is good. However, her breathing is still irregular and she's still not responsive. My best guess is that she's in pain. Yet, no matter how many times I tap or call her, I can't get her to respond or tell me what's going on.

Having a more urgent mindset than before, I pull her back into laying on her back again. She starts crying, squirming and clawing at her scalp. To stop her from doing this, I use blue magic to pull her arms away from her head, "Y/N. Sweetheart, listen. I won't let you do that. You need to calm down."

Y/N struggles more, whining loudly. Having no other choice, I sit on her stomach and bend forward. My hands caress her cheeks as I use my thumbs to wipe her tears away. "Y/N, look at me. It's over. I can't help you if ya won't tell me what's wrong." N/N finally looks at me, letting me see her crystal (e/c) eyes again. More tears threaten to fall from them as she winces, "Sans.. it hurts.."

That sentence alone and the fact that she sounds so vulnerable broke my heart. I need to ask about what's bothering her. Then, I could go downstairs and get some medicine to help. She answers that question before I even asked, taking a shaky breath in, "It hurts... to remember.."

Immediately, I understood what she meant. It hurts me too. Hurts so much at times that I plead that my mind could just forget.

I nuzzle my head against her's, hoping to give her some comfort. My blue magic on her wears off shortly after. Able to move her arms again, Y/N tightly wraps her arms around me. N/N buries her face into my shirt, trembling and crying.

My soul feels like it's suffering alongside her. I hate it... The feeling of knowing that there's barely anything I can do.

All I can do for now is pet her head, hold her close, and gently tell her "Everything's going to be ok." I did this countless times until she tired herself out and fell asleep.

Writer~San: Back to normal sized chapters again. I know I already explained this a few days back so I won't do it again and bore you lol. But do y'all rather 1 normal chapter per day? Or would you rather 1 longer chapter that's twice the size, but I post them every other day(every two days)? It's something I've been thinking about and I want to know what you guys think. Anyway, have a good day! Cya later! (^^)~🖤