Chapter 24 - Co-ordination Skills like Keys.. Lost

"Allen..! What brings you to my humble abode?" Hunter asked with exaggerated cheeriness.

How the hell did you find it, let alone get in??

His boss stared at him for a moment then sighed, "What happened last month Hunter?"

"I don't know? What're you talking about.. Last month? Did I fuck something up again?" He asked, seeming genuinely perplexed.

An act in truth.

The man watched him for a moment before relenting, "You really are a problematic expensive investment you know?"

Hunter shrugged.

"And you honestly don't know what I'm talking about?"

"No, not a clue.."

"Oh lord. Okay, let's refresh our memory." Steepling his hands behind his head he took in a breath. "Say, does Annabelle ring a bell?"

Hunter gazed blankly at the man and he sighed, getting straight to the point.

"You let yourself slip— don't give me that look you bloody idiot, you let yourself be seen, by a girl no less." Allen said as anger creeped into his voice.

Oh shit yeah.. I thought he'd've forgotten.

"I didn't do it on purpose.. You know that. I'm not stupid"

"Oh so now you remember? Well if you—" He dragged his hand through his hair in frustration, "She had a gang! You could have died!"

Hunter glared at the man coldly. "I would not have died, I couldn't have. That's why I'm to quote, 'an expensive investment'."

Allen flinched but remained silent.

"So what did you expect me to do other than what I did. Taking lives is what I do isn't it? You said so yourself."

It doesn't count though. It doesn't count. If I can't smell the blood or hear the screams, it doesn't count. It doesn't count. It doesn't count.

Allen glared, "Yes. That is your job, but it won't be for long if you get found out will it?! And I can not have you found out," he stabbed at Hunter's chest, "If you are, we will both get fired from the department."

Startled by the sudden aggressive contact he glared and batted the man's hand away. This man had no right to threaten him. 

No right to wave his authority at his face.

Sure a contract is a contract and contracts shouldn't be broken, but this shitty attitude wasn't gonna get him to do shit.