seven

I am woken up by Jane coming into my room hurriedly.

"Princess, Delaney must speak with you at once. She is not happy, might I add." Jane says.

Before I know it, Delaney is rushing into my room angrily and sits down on one of the chairs, opposite of my bed. Her eyes are squinted and her jaw is hard. I get out of my bed and look at her.

"What?" I say.

"How could you make Count Julian fall for you!" She yells.

"Excuse me?"

Delaney groans. "Count Julian, he asked father for permission to court you."

"I don't even find him remotely attractive! It was not my intention, Delaney! Relationships are pointless anyway." I reply, Delaney rolls her eyes.

"I don't understand how this could've possibly happened." Delaney starts, "I was supposed to date him. He was supposed to marry me."

"You sound a little desperate." I remark bluntly.

"Where were you last night? Why didn't you make yourself present when Count Julian made his request to court you?" She questions.

"Where I was, is none of your business."

"You've been doing this a lot, lately. You always disappear around ten o'clock, then somehow magically appear in your bed in the morning. You know that's bad reputation." Delaney says.

"I don't care! I will go to Mother and Father now and deny the request for courtship. Do you know where they are?" I say angrily.

"Throne room." Delaney responds quickly, a smug look on her face.

I run down the corridor in my night dress, although that was frowned upon in the castle. I didn't care. I make my way into the throne room where Mum and Dad are, not expecting Count Julian to be there as well.

"Diana, lovely to see you." Father says, his voice dry.

I gulp and nod my head. "Good morning, Father." I say.

Count Julian stares at me for a moment and I avert my gaze to my mother. Delaney runs in, causing everyone to look at her.

"Count Julian! What a surprise to see you here!" Delaney exclaims.

"You saw me-" He begins.

"Anyway, is it true you want to court my younger sister?" Delaney asks in mock happiness.

Count Julian looks at my parents and nods. "Yes, it is true."

I lean my head back and roll my eyes, trying not to groan. I didn't want to date Count Julian. That would be like real world me dating real world Mr. Julian, and that was highly illegal. All eyes are on me as they wait upon my decision.

"I'm sorry, Count, but I cannot date a man who I cannot see a future with." I say.

Everyone's eyes fall to the ground except for Delaney's, and when I look at her, her eyes are bright and she is smiling happily.

"I understand, Princess. May we remain friends?" He asks.

I nod and then proceed to leave the throne room. Dean is running around the hallway, but stops in front of me. "Diana! I didn't expect you to be awake..." He says suspiciously.

"What have you done now?" I ask, looking at him like I was about to break his arm.

"Oh nothing... Just don't go into your sleeping chambers!" He says before running off.