fifteen

"I heard about what happened at the castle." Liam says.

My jaw is tightened and I look at the waves of the water sloshing towards and then away from my feet. I didn't want to look at him. He probably had that flirtatious smirk on his lips, his long eyelashes and his unshaven face. God, I could practically feel myself falling for him even more, although that was the last thing I wanted to do.

He kicks off his shoes and steps in the water. I look at his back and gulp; I didn't want to speak. He turns to look at me with a small smile stretched upon his lips. I look back down at the ground, the water hitting my feet and then returning back to the body of water. Liam's legs come into view and he places his finger under my chin and makes me look in his eyes.

"How did you find me here?" I ask.

"Because even though you don't remember, I know you, Diana." He says.

"If you know me so well, you wouldn't have called me crazy when I tried to tell you about the real world."

"Speaking of which..." He pauses, "I've thought about what you've said, and you're right. You said that this is a dream that you can't wake up from right?"

I nod slowly.

"When I pinch my arm, I can't feel a thing. I know you can, but I can't. That has to mean something, right?" He says.

"I-I don't know, Liam..."

"And, you're the only one who calls me Liam. You're the only who knew that I prefer Liam rather than William. Not to mention, you knew that Bartholomew's real name was Cyrus. How on earth could you possibly know that?" Liam asks. He sounds desperate and helpless.

"Because I told you the truth. This place isn't real." I respond.

"I believe you." His face is close to mine, our lips nearly touching.

I wanted to kiss him so badly, and I almost did until I remembered Julian. I pulled away quickly, looking into Liam's eyes. He frowns and his eyes droop, looking at the water beneath us. I sigh and look at him, giving him an apologetic look.

It begins to rain softly, lightening striking in the distance.

"I also heard about you and the Count." Liam says. His voice is deep.

"Yeah..."

"Why are you doing this to yourself? I thought you didn't like him?" Liam asks.

"I- I don't know. It will make my parents happy. It will make the family look good."

"Since when do you care about your family's image?" Liam says abruptly.

I look at him, but can't really tell what his face looks like. "Because if I want the crown, then I have to set a good public image."

"Oh my word, Diana. You've even said yourself that the title isn't that big of a deal. Why the sudden change?"

"I don't have to explain myself to you." I tell him. "We may be best friends in the real world, but here it's different. How do I know that you're not going to run off and tell everyone my secrets?"

"If you really think that low of me, you need to reconsider everything, even in the real world." He walks off.

I'm left alone in the mist of rain, looking at my best friend walking away with his horse. As soon as he's out of an ear shot, I scream in anger and begin kicking the water as I do so. I was so stupid. I wasn't me. I was changing and I could see the real Liam hating me. I look up at the sky and groan, and then there is a big crash of thunder. I hop on Sugar's back and ride back to the castle, ready for this night to end.

a/n: ok hi, i know this is super short but i promise the next chapter will be longer. please bare with me on this. i've been on vacation and haven't had much time to write a lot, so i hope this will do.