seven

NYX WALKS TOWARDS THE WAR room, dreading the prospective of meeting up with Aleksander. It was just the weekly debriefing, but it had been a week since she'd last talked to him. So she wasn't sure if she was in the right state of mind to face him.

She nods at the guards, before pushing open the doors and stepping in. The doors shutting behind her. Aleksander is seated at his desk and glances up at her, his stiff posture drops as he lets his guard down.

"Nyx, I'm glad you're here-" He stands up, smiling at her and she cuts him off, slightly shocked that he's acting as if nothing had happened.

"I heard you went out for a ride. I hope you enjoyed it. I'm guessing you did, since Miss Starkov was with you." She says through gritted teeth, trying not to start another argument and she can see him sadden.

"Listen, this-"

"On to more important issues. Nothing much to report. Although, I haven't heard much from Nina. She's the Heartrender you send out to Ketterdam. She may have slipped your mind since you enjoy sending so many people away." Nyx says calmly and he looks down in defeat. "West Ravka continues to speak of independence, at least somethings don't change. Oh, and the Fjerdans have killed a few of ours. If only we had a sun summoner who could solve all of our problems. I was sure we had one, probably got lost on her outing with the General of the second army."

"Nyx, you know. If it weren't for the fact that I consider you dear, I'd have send you off to follow Zoya by now." He says, his eyes having darkened with anger, but she could tell he was holding back.

"Dear me. What would I ever do? I'm sure your new best friend would love that. How about we go ask her now?" Nyx makes show to turn around just to anger him a little more. It seems to have worked, but she didn't expect him to grab her wrist and slam her against the wall next to the door.

"Can you stop this? I am trying to create a better future for Ravka, a better future for us." He snarls as her eyes widen and her breath gets stuck at the back of her throat. He leans down closer to her. "I can't do this without you by my side, Nyx. You and I, we could change the world. I need you. It doesn't matter if I have the sun summoner or not."

"You don't mean that." She breaths out, making him shake his head as he looks at her with so much sincerity. "Why? I'm just a Heartrender."

"You're the only one who believed in me. You're the only one who ever stayed by my side. Saints, you're the only one who can stay by my side. Alina is just a means to an ends, you are my equal." He breaths out and she gapes at him, in disbelief of what he said, but also extremely overjoyed. That's all she had ever wanted to be, his equal.

"Aleksander, you don't know how much this means to me." She admits and he smiles affectionately, leaning closer to rest his forehead against hers.

"Say it again." He hums and she looks at him questioningly. "My name. You're the only one who knows it."

"Aleksander." She breaths out and he closes his eyes. Her heart rate increases as he lets go of her wrist and she takes the opportunity to reach out both her hands to put them on his cheeks, the small hairs of his beard brushing against her skin. She leans in closer, her chest rising and falling with every breath.

He opens his eyes and looks at her, watching her every move. Their eyes meet and the silence between them became deafening. Without hesitating she brings her lips up to his and he immediately pushes her harder against the wall, as he kisses her back. Her arms slip around his neck, pulling him closer to her.

A knock at the door interrupts, making Aleksander pull away and take a few steps back. She pushes herself off the wall and fixes her kefta as she makes her towards way the other side of the room. He clears his throat, walking up to the door and opening it. She bites her lip as she sees Fedyor standing there.

"Ah, Fedyor. Just in time. I need you to do something for me." Aleksander muses, opening up the door further to let Fedyor in.

"Have mother and father stopped arguing?" Fedyor asks Nyx, making her glare at him and Aleksander looks at them, clearly unamused.

"Fedyor. Focus, please." Aleksander sternly, giving the Heartrenders pointed looks. Nyx snorts and slowly makes her way to the door.

"I shall excuse myself." She announces, reaching out for the door handle.

"Nyx." Aleksander calls out, making her stop and look at him questioningly. "Shall we have dinner together?"

"Yes. I'll join you as soon as I finish some work." She smiles warmly, before leaving, the smile staying for the rest of the day.