thirty

THE DECK WAS COMPLETELY SILENT, only Nyx, Nikolai, Adrian and a Squaller can be seen. Just under them lay a grand total of one thousand two hundred twenty five men, all in a state of induced coma. With the help of Adrian's skills in potions, they put half their army to sleep and Nyx had done the rest.

Nyx feels a chill run up her body as she looks around the darkness, keeping an eye for any danger. Which she truly hoped would not happen, because they were defenceless. They'd set up a few riffles around the deck, in case of emergency, and there a few Grishas hidden within the Skiff, according to Nikolai.

"I can't believe I'm crossing the Fold. I'm really excited to see East Ravka." Adrian says excitedly, making her chuckle and she pats him on the shoulder.

"As soon as we end the war, I'll show you the Little Palace and I'm sure Nikolai won't mind showing you the Grande Palace." She hums, causing him to beam happily. "I forgot to do this earlier, but happy birthday Adrian."

"How... how'd you know?" He asks at her in disbelief and she gives him a look, a soft smile on her lips.

"I've done some research. On a basic level, I didn't want to pry in your life. But just things like your birthday and birth place." She responds nonchalantly and he smiles at her happily, before resting his head on her shoulder.

"Thank you. I've... I've never had someone care for me. Not since my parents died when I was younger." He hums softly and she feels her heart break for him. She truly had grown to care for this stubborn boy.

"Well, I hate the mother joke you, Zoya and David do. But I do consider you to be like a little brother." She says honestly and he looks up at her, having the widest grin on his face.

"Thank you. For letting me come along. I know you didn't want to come, but still." He says, making her turn to face him and pull him into a hug. He wraps his arms around her waist.

"The only reason I didn't want you to come, was because I wanted to protect you." She admits, making him pull away and look at her in disbelief. She rolls her eyes at his reaction and shoves him lightly. "I'm not heartless."

"Really? You had me fooled." He says teasingly, making her hit him playfully.

"Go take a walk, you rascal." She grumbles and he chuckles, before walking away. She shakes her head, smiling to herself, before looking back out into the Fold.

A sudden flash of light appears and the silhouette of wings appear, making her eyes widen. Uncertain if she truly saw right or not, she slowly backs away. She turns around and rushes to the first person she finds, which ends up being Nikolai.

"Where is Adrian?" She asks breathlessly and he looks at her questioningly.

"He's on the other side." He says, making her look across the deck to see Adrian walking around calmly. Another flash of light comes and she sees an another pair of wings, but this time right next to Adrian.

"Volcra." She breaths out in panic and Nikolai stiffens. A screech is heard and Nyx doesn't waste any longer to run in the direction of Adrian, who seemed to be frightened by the sound. The faster she runs the further he seems to be and her heart drops as she notices the pair wings now flying full speed towards the boy. "Adrian!"

He turns to look at her, panic evident in his demeanour, but he still had not noticed the Volcra. She pushes her feet to get faster, but no matter how fast she runs, she is unable to get to him before the Volcra does. Her whole world stops as she watches the monster's claws dig into Adrian's shoulder - only centimetres from where his heart is - and a scream of pain emits from him.

"No!" She screams and with shaky hands she stops the monster's heart, making it drop with Adrian. It's claws are still embedded in his shoulder and she quickly rushes to his side. Dropping to the floor she uses all her strength to unclasp the claws, before pulling Adrian away from the dead Volcra. Her eyes become blurry as she tries to fight the tears. What use were her abilities and strengths if she could not heal him. "Don't you dare close your eyes on me, idiot."

"Happy... happy birthday to me." He coughs out, blood running down his lips. She glares at him as she tries to slow down the bleeding. Too busy trying to keep him alive, she doesn't notice the other Volcras and one of them coming for her at full speed. In a swift motion, he pushes her down, ignoring the pain his shoulder and covers her from the attack. But a gun shot resonates, followed by a thud.

"Adrian! What are you thinking!" She exclaims, pushing him down on to her lap. Tears are now flowing freely.

"Take care of Adrian! I'll get rid of the Volcra." Nikolai says, making her look up and that's when she noticed that there are more people on Deck, mostly Infernis by the looks of it.

"Do you have a healer?" She asks Nikolai, who shakes his head with a sad smile. Taking a deep breath, she turns her focus back on Adrian. She makes sure to keep his lungs functioning, keep his heart rate constant. "Adrian. Have I ever told you the reason behind all this?"

"N...no?" He chokes out, blood spluttering on his lips. Running a finger through his hair to sooth him, she makes sure to keep her focus on his vital organs.

"The Darkling and I have known each other for seventy years or a little more. He always promised me that one day I'll be his equal. I believed him. I really did. Because I loved him. More than anyone. But he needed the sun summoner to make his plans work and when he found her, he forgot about me. He kept trying to make me feel important, but he only hurt me more." She says softly and she can see that behind the pain in his eyes, a burning rage is building up. "I want him to feel like I did. Everything he worked hard for, I want to take that from him."

"If I ever see him... I will punch him." He croaks out, making her chuckle through her tears.

"Don't talk. You're making your condition worse." She says weakly, trying to ignore all the chaos around them.

"I never knew the name of my parents or even their last name, I was too young to remember. They died... trying to cross. Would it not be ironic if I died here too." He says weakly, making her shake her head.

"You're not dying here. You'll make it across. You'll live to see Os Alta." She says firmly and he looks at her with so much hope.

"Promise?" He asks and she nods, pulling him closer to her.

"I can't heal you. How pathetic is that? But I will keep you alive until we can get you proper care." She says and as if she had planned it, light suddenly surrounded them. She looks up and lets out a breath of relief as she realises they're out the fold. Shouts of joy and relief resonate, but she ignores those as she looks down at Adrian. "You made it to East Ravka, Adrian."

"I... I made it." He chokes out, tears rolling down his cheeks and mixing with the blood on his cheeks.