eleven

"DO WE EVEN HAVE A PLAN? Because you want to get to West Ravka. And to get where we want to go, we either cross through Fjerda, where Grishas are being prosecuted, or Shu, which is still very much at war with Ravka. Or across the Fold, where Volcras will eat us alive." David says in panic as he paces up and down the room. Zoya rolls her eyes as she removes her kefta and throws it on the bed.

"We'll figure something out. For now, we just have to make our way to Kribiski without being found." Nyx states as she throws her kefta on top of Zoya's. She glances at David who was still wearing his kefta and raises an eyebrow. "We won't get far if you keep that on."

"But... but it's my kefta." He says softly, making Nyx sigh and give him a soft smile.

"I know David. And I promise, once this is all over, I'll get you the most beautiful kefta ever." She assures him and he sighs in defeat, slipping out of his kefta.

"You mean, one of the most beautiful keftas." Zoya corrects, making Nyx turn and playfully glare at her.

"Don't ruin the moment, Zoya." Nyx huffs and Zoya simply shrugs in response.

"Lieutenant Irvank. I think the moment was ruined." David points out, causing Nyx to look back at him.

"First of all, David. We're no longer at the Little Palace, so please just call me Nyx from now on. Second of all, let's not waste anymore time here. We'll leave the Kefta's here. Make our way west for now." Nyx says, making them nod in acceptance. "Let's go then."

They leave the room that they'd gotten when they arrived at the Inn. It wasn't an extravagant place, it was nothing compared to what they were used to in the Little Palace, but this was a new experience for all of them. They'd have to go through Ravka without the protection that came with being under the Darkling.

They make their way downstairs where people are seated at tables, talking to friends or family over some beverage or a meal. Nyx doesn't pay attention to any of them as she walks between Zoya and David. They soon make their way out of the Inn on to the street.

"How exactly are we getting to Kribiski?" David asks, as they stand on the side of the road. Nyx glances around and that's when she sees a carriage coming full speed in their direction.

"We hitch a ride." Nyx announces as she steps in the middle of the road, making the rider pull at the reigns of the horses. Zoya and David give each other looks as Nyx slowly walks up to where three people are seated on the riders position. "Sorry to bother, but I would like to speak with the owners of the carriage."

"Are you not the Lieutenant of the Second Army?" The one holding the reigns asks, making Nyx shake her head.

"Wrong person. Sorry. So the owner?" Nyx asks again and the man with the cane raises his fingers off the crow head on the cane. "I hope I am not asking for too much, sir. But we need a ride to Kribiski. The three of us."

"You are in luck, madame. We are headed in that direction. We can drop you off somewhere there." The one holding the reigns nods, making Nyx smile appreciatively.

"I am Estelle, these are Nella and Anton." Nyx introduces herself and the others under aliases, not wanting to be discovered.

"Pleasure to meet you. I am Kirli, this is Elva and Arlio." The man with the cane says, making Nyx nod in respect. "You may stay in the carriage. We will let you know once we arrive."

"Thank you very much." Nyx hums as she looks at Zoya and David, nodding at them to follow her. She opens the door to the carriage and gets in, her two friends following in. As soon as the door is closed they leave.

"Are we really going to trust these strangers?" Zoya asks as she leans closer, her voice not louder than a whisper.

"We're not trusting them. We're just asking for some help. As soon as they leave us, we never look back." Nyx answers the question, keeping her voice low as well.

"What if they try to hurt us?" David asks, making Nyx glance up behind them to where she can imagine the three sitting.

"Then we fight back. For now let's just relax." Nyx hums as she leans back against the seat and Zoya nods. David pulls a book out of his pocket and leans back. Both Zoya and Nyx give each other look of either amusement or disbelief.

"You brought a book?" Zoya asks, gaping at the Durast. He looks up and shrugs, as if it had been an obvious thing.

"Of course."

"We're about to risk our lives and you brought a book?" Zoya snatches the book out of his hand and hits him lightly with it. Nyx snorts, shaking her head at them.

"Behave yourselves." Nyx teases, making Zoya huff and hand the book back to David.