twentyseven

"DO YOU THINK THIS IS THE place?" Zoya asks, looking at the the vast emptiness in front of them. A soft wind is blowing, coming from the Fold. Nyx tugs at the reins of her horse as she looks around. She notices a small group of people walking in the direction of the Fold, before disappearing. "You saw that too right?"

"Yeah. Let's go take a look." Nyx responds, using her heel to alert her horse to go on. Zoya follows her as they gallop through the open field, in the direction they saw the people the disappear. As they get closer, they slow the speed of their horses.

"Maybe we should have come with guards." Zoya says as they approach the spot they saw the group disappear. Nyx comes down from the horse and that's when she notices a sudden shine emitting from the spot. Walking up to it, she suddenly hits something hard and she backs away.

"And what use would they be, other than get us unnecessary attention? Anyway, I think I figured it out." Nyx smirks, making Zoya raise an eyebrow, before getting off her own horse. The two of them slowly walk around the wall, to reveal a massive Skiff being build. "You wondered if this was the place right?"

"Saints, what kind of madness is this?" Zoya breaths out as they look at the many people busy moving things around to build the massive Skiff. Nyx smirks, feeling excited about this and takes Zoya's hand, before dragging her along.

"Come on we have to go see this from closer." Nyx says excitedly, making Zoya chuckles softy as she follows. Before they can get very far, someone walks up them. Nyx and Zoya stop as they watch with wide eyes, a man who could be twice their size, walk up to them.

"Who are you and what business do you have here?" The man asks, crossing his arms over his chest as he stand in front of her. Nyx recomposes herself and straightens up.

"I'm Nyx and this is Zoya. We are here on behalf of the late General Zlatan." Nyx says firmly and the man raises an eyebrow.

"Late? We have not heard news of his death." The man hums, making her take a deep breath.

"We are keeping it a secret for the time being, to not cause any panic among the public. It was an assassination." Nyx explains, making him look at her with suspicion. No criminal admitted to their crimes, that was the reason she told him the cause of death, rather than lying. "Could we see the person in charge?"

"Follow me." He says as he turns around and starts walking away. Zoya and Nyx give each other looks, silently reminding themselves to keep their guards up, before following after him. Nothing is said between the three as they walk, Nyx uses this opportunity to take a look around. The Skiff was much bigger than she had imagined it to be and it would definitely fit at least half of the the army in it.

As they walk towards a red haired man, she notices that behind the Skiff there is a second one. This changed everything, they wouldn't need to do multiple trips. They'd cross in one go, all that was necessary was finding another Squaller. As they come to a stop, she realise that they were in a more secluded part, where no one would see them.

"Captain, these two wish to speak to you." The tall man says to the red head, who looks up at the two and smirks. Straightening up, he walks up to them.

"It's a pleasure meeting you two. I am Sturmhond. What brings two beautiful ladies here?" He asks as he crosses his arms over his chest and gives them, by far one of the most charming smiles.

"The pleasure is ours. I'm Nyx and this is Zoya. We are here for the two Skiffs." Nyx says straight to the point, making him look at her in intrigue and amusement. There was something about him that felt familiar to her.

"Are you not the Second Army's second in command?" He asks, making the tall man and a woman - who looked very similar to the man - straighten up defensively.

"Do you have any proof of that?" Nyx asks defensively and he chuckles, shaking his head at her.

"Quite a bit. I remember seeing you at the Little Palace." He points out and Zoya looks at Nyx in confusion as the Heartrender frowns. "I think the only reason you don't recognise me is because of the whole tailor thing."

"Right and how would I know you?" Nyx asks skeptically and he gestures for the man, who clears his and with a few hand gestures, the man's face changes. His eyes now a clear blue and his muddy red hair, now perfectly combed blonde hair. Nyx breath gets caught at the back of her throat as she recognises him.

"Nikolai Lantsov, Major of the Twenty-Second Regiment, Soldier of the King's Army, Grand Duke of Udova, and second son of His Most Royal Majesty, King Alexander the Third, Ruler of the Double Eagle Throne. At your service." He smirks, making Nyx gapes at him.

"Saints, I haven't seen you since you left for the First Army." Nyx breaths, making him give her a cheeky smile.

"Come with me. We have some catching up to do." Nikolai says as he nods for her to follow him, but before they can leave the woman stops them.

"Is it really safe to trust her?" The woman asks, making Nikolai smile at her reassuringly.

"Tamar. I grew up around her, if she wanted me any harm, she'd already done it." Nikolai says, making Nyx snort. She turns to look at Zoya, nodding at her to assure her everything would be fine. Without any more protests, they both walk away. "Do you remember when I used to runaway from my caretakers and go see you training?"

"None of those poor women could handle you." Nyx chuckles softly, shaking her head.

"Only you could ever handle me." He smirks at her, making her roll her eyes at him. They come to a stop and turn to face each other. "As happy as I am to see you, still as beautiful as ever, why are you really here?"

"I already told you. The Skiffs. I need them to cross the Fold." She points out and he looks at her in disbelief.

"That's a lot of space for just you and your friend." He points out, making her tilt her head as she gives a look of amusement.

"Who said it's just the two of us? I have three thousand men who will follow." She says as she crosses her arms over her chest and straightens up. His eyes widen as he looks at her in shock.

"That's an army. What are you planning?" He asks, pulling her further away from prying ears.

"I'll only answer that question if you say you're interested in a throne." She says teasingly, making him glare at her.

"Saints, Nyx. You're talking of treason. Are you planning to take the throne from the King?" He asks, making her shake her head.

"My goal is the Second Army, but you know very well how much I hate your father. So, why not get rid of him too in the process." She answers and he scoffs.

"You're going for General Kirigan's position? Why? Are you two not inseparable?" He asks, causing her to wince in response.

"We are. Let's just say we have different goals." She responds, making him run a hand through his hair.

"Nyx, you know that you're important to me, but this is madness." Nikolai hisses and she takes a deep breath.

"I know and I never intended to get you involved, but I need to do this."She says firmly, making him sigh in defeat.

"Fine. We can figure something out with the Skiffs." He says finally, making her smile happily and beam.

"Thank you. You're my favourite Royal, you know that right?" She asks and he snorts in response.

"The bar is set low to begin with." He muses, making her hit him playfully. "You know he doesn't deserve you right? Whatever the Darkling did, he's the one missing out. If it were up to me, I'd never cause you any pain."

"I know, but unfortunately it has come to this. Don't worry, I'll make him regret it." She smiles and he looks down at her with admiration as he returns her smile.