twenty

HAVING SPEND THE WHOLE DAY walking around the city, only to not have learned anything, bothered Nyx more than she was willing to admit. Adrian had been patient when showing her the way around, not even noticing how frustrated she currently was. She wasn't expecting to hear where Zlatan lived or anything similar, but at least hear where his next demonstration - or something - was.

"Hey, kid. Have you ever seen General Zlatan?" Nyx asks as she nods at one of the posters, making Adrian turn to look at it.

"Oh, yeah. He's always doing this fancy speech around this time in the Plaza, would you like to see it?" He asks and she lets out a deep breath of disbelief. She wondered how much time she'd have spared if she had asked the question at the very beginning.

"Yeah. I've heard many great things about him." Nyx says through grit teeth, as she tries not to scoff. Nothing about the General impressed her, not even his stupid ambitions.

"Really? I'd have thought everyone across the Fold would hate him for considering independency." Adrian muses as he skips around happily and Nyx tries her best to not hit him for being so cheerful.

"The people I used to work for did. I do too, but one can learn from the foolishness of others." She points out and he stops in his steps, before moving to walk next to her.

"You're really wise aren't you? It's like you're over a hundred years." He says as he puts his hands behind his back, making her snicker as a smirk tugs at her lips.

"Do I look over a hundred years old?" She asks, knowing very well what the truth is. Grishas aged differently, the more powerful one was the longer their life. Aleksander and Baghra were prime examples of that, being shadow summoners, meant they were by far one of the most powerful Grishas and had lived a long life.

Even Nyx could live a long life - if she isn't killed before that - as her own power had nearly no limit. She may not be as powerful as Aleksander or Alina, but she was no average Heartrender either. Her already long life was one of the many proofs of that.

"No. But you have the mind of someone who is." He counter argues and she raise an eyebrow.

"Fine I can accept that answer. Anyway, where is this General. I won't search whole of Ravka for him." Nyx hums as she looks around the Plaza, that's when she notices the makeshift stage with a crowd standing in front of it. She scoffs and crosses her arms over her chest. "People actually listen to him."

"Yeah. I don't know why. The only thing these people are good at is talking, but the moment they're faced with the Darkling or anyone more powerful than themselves, they back out." He frowns, making her wince at the thought.

"Because they expect others to lead the battle and do the dirty work." She says in response and he looks up at her.

"I feel like you'd make a good leader." He muses honestly and she beams, turning her attention to the General.

"They may have the sun summoner now, but after years of neglecting us, they have no right to come for us. They can't reunite us, not after so many years of separation. We our are own nation now and it is time they left us alone." Zlatan shouts out to crowd and Nyx scoffs.

"He's lost it. Does he realise the moment the Fold is destroyed, the Darkling would send an army after him." She snarls, shaking her head disapprovingly. In fact, the Darkling wouldn't send an army, he would actually use the Fold to destroy all enemies of Ravka.

"Is he really as scary as people say?" He asks and she takes a deep breath. She only ever considered Aleksander scary before getting to know him. But now after having gotten to know him, she could never say he's scary. She shakes her head, trying to get rid of all thoughts of him out of her head.

"I don't know. I never met him." She says as she clears her throat and he looks at her with a frown, but doesn't say anything else. She tries to stay focused on what the General is saying, but after a while she loses focus. "Let's go. I don't need to hear more of this stupidity."

"Shall we go back to the Inn?" Adrian asks and she nods in response. "Alright. It's been a long day anyway."

"It has. Won't the owner be mad that you left the stables?" Nyx asks as she lets out a yawn and he looks down, a wince escaping his lips. She chuckles softly., shaking her head. "Don't worry. I'll take care of it."

"Really? Thank you so much!" He beams happily, making her roll her eyes, even though a smile is evident on her lips. "Oh, don't forget to check my fees for showing you around."

"You rascal! You said you were helping out! You know what, deal with the owner by yourself." She scoffs, her smile dropping.

"I'm just kidding! Please, don't let her kill me. She'll murder me!" He exclaims dramatically and she rolls her eyes. She was going to help him concerning that, but she'll let him believe the contrary as payback.