11. Beloved

Zhou Zishu was slipping in and out of consciousness and his head was full of Wen Kexing's agonizing screams that guided him and the other vampires to his location. The screams got louder in his head the closer he was towards him, they were so full of pain and agony that Zhou Zishu couldn't bear hearing them, he hugged his head trying to cover his ears but there was no use, they were inside his head.

"Wake up!" Luo Yi shook him into consciousness once again, "Do you hear anything now?" She asked selfishly, completely neglecting his current state.

"Lao Wen..." He panted, almost fainting again, "screams..."

"You should stay awake! Tell us, what do you hear? Which direction?!" She asked impatiently.

"I... Lao Wen..." He closed his eyes but was shaken again, "his screams..." He said as he hugged his head, fainting again.

Wen Kexing's screams were heart-wrenching and Zhou Zishu couldn't endure them anymore, the screams were causing him physical as well as emotional pain and he could almost hear the sound of his and Lao Wen's hearts breaking. He wanted to find him, to tell him how he feels, to apologize, to give him a warm hug and a tender kiss. He regretted leaving, he regretted his harsh words, he regretted asking to break the bond, he regretted...

And suddenly he was startled into consciousness once again by an extremely excruciating pain in his heart accompanied by an extremely loud scream in his head. The heartache was so severe that he felt like his heart was almost pulled out of his chest, like it was literally, physically breaking.

Then all the screaming, all the pain, all the heartache completely stopped. He steadied himself up and inspected his body frantically; the pain was completely gone and he seemed perfectly fine like nothing happened. He glanced at the vampires around him and they seemed totally baffled by what just happened. And the thought suddenly hit him... Could it be? No.

"No! no, no, no..." Zhou Zishu rotated around himself hysterically, "Lao Wen... is not .... Is he?" He grabbed Luo Yi's shoulders, swaying her back and forth. "I can't feel him anymore... I can't hear or feel him anymore... Luo Yi!"

"How is this possible?" Luo Yi was shocked.

"What?!" Zhou Zishu asked impatiently, "what's happening? Tell me! Why can't I feel him anymore?!"

"I-" She swallowed and blinked few times, "I don't know..."

Their conversation was interrupted by Qianqiao, "I smell something." She sniffed, "something very good..."

"Vampire slayer?" Luo Yi asked, "I can smell too..."

"But his scent... is very strong, very pure..." Qianqiao suddenly realized what she had said, "Pure! Pure blood vampire slayer!"

"They still exist...?" Luo Yi sounded skeptical but also believed what Qianqiao was saying. "We must be close..."

***

Even though Chengling was a weak and innocent boy, he wasn't dumb at all. In fact, he was very smart, smarter than many people his age, and Mo Huaiyang had underestimated him a lot.

He waited for Mo Huaiyang to turn away and blinked few times at Cao Weining finally catching his attention, he signaled with his eyes to the syringe full of vampire blood by the table and urged him to snatch it.

Cao Weining being Cao Weining, he hesitated to leave Gu Xiang's side in fear of attracting Mo Huaiyang's attention, he was afraid that he would do something worse to her if their attempt to escape failed.

However, Chengling already had a plan. He couldn't stand to hear any more of Wen Kexing's painful screams and he refused to let himself be a weapon that causes harm to others, especially good people. He looked down at the tube that was transferring blood then glanced at Wen Kexing who was completely unaware of the situation, only lost in his own pain and screams. He then looked at Cao Weining and motioned with his hand that he would try to pull the tube away to distract Mo Huaiyang so that Cao Weining could get the syringe.