Chapter 1

The ride to school was mainly silent, Liam lost in his own world of books, just here and there talks between Zayn and Louis about the upcoming matches, prom. Prom.

Zayn knew if he was to be in a fake relationship till the end of the year, he will have to take Perrie as his prom date. And if that didn't cause a sting in his heart, he'd be lying. He couldn't even ask the only one person who he wanted as his date.

To be honest, he was a coward. He was always worried of keeping his reputation of a jock that on the way he forgot himself. He remembers his Baba's words sometimes 'If in this materialistic world, you find your true self and are not afraid to show others who you truly are then you are brave. But if you hide behind a fake personality, behind a mask, just to please others, you are a coward.'

Zayn doesn't deny being a coward. He really wants to do something about this situation but just thinking of coming out to his family, takes the living lights out of him. He 100% sure his family will be okay with any of his choices, but still he had an unsure feeling in his heart.

Since childhood, he was the star of the school, girls would be running around him to talk, all the guys were his friends, teachers loved him, so the thought of coming out as gay and loosing all of this, scared him.

He still remembers telling Louis his secret. They were 15 at that time and Louis had already come out and because of that Zayn had some confidence and told his best friend about his sexuality. Louis was so supportive that Zayn even thought that it was time to come out but still that scary feeling of loosing his reputation, held him back. Louis just said that it was Zayn's life so it's only his decision when he wants to tell the world till then as his best friend he'll always be there for him.

With Perrie it was a different case. Though they were childhood friends, her affection towards him was more than 'just friends'. So when she finally proposed him, Zayn had to tell her his secret. At first she didn't believe him, but then she could see the truth in his eyes.

That's when they thought about having a fake relationship. Both could benefit from this. Well it sounded simple back then but now he wasn't that sure. It's been a year since they started this charade.

Louis was not in favour of this plan. He strongly believed that Zayn didn't need to do this, just to be popular,but then again the scared look on his face made him accept this plan. Niall was like 'Whatever you do mate, I'll support you'.

For keeping up this pretend relationship, both Zayn and Perrie walk to classes together, just holding hands, sitting at lunch together, kisses on cheek. Though Perrie had no problem with PDA but it was Zayn who said no. He wanted his first kiss to be with Liam.

Liam was a mystery to Zayn. Zayn could read and understand people in a few meetings but with Liam it was different. It was like he had enclosed himself in a shell and built his walls so high that Zayn couldn't even remove a brick.

Though they knew each other since when they were kids, Liam was a closed book, really hard to read. But Zayn just wanted to read one page at a time.

Liam was so shy and insecure about himself that he will talk to Zayn only if Louis or any other friend of their is present with them. Zayn was always waiting to hear his melodic voice, he knew the curly haired lad had a passion for singing but then again because of his insecurity he brushes it off.

If only he knew he had an admirer who could do anything just to bring a smile on his beautiful face.

Zayn's train of thoughts were disturbed when the car stopped and Louis got out, motioning Liam to come out. Sighing, Zayn also got out of the car.

They reached the school's front gate, just then their hands brushed lightly and Zayn would be lying if he didn't feel sparks in just that touch. But to his dismay Liam removed his hand immediately but Zayn is sure he saw his cheeks redden a little.

Zayn was going to ask how was he doing when Liam was crushed in a hug by a tall lad with curly hair. Harry started asking if he had done the assignment that they had to submit today and as a reply Liam just hummed, adjusting his glasses and made his way to his class, bidding goodbye to Louis and stealing a look at Zayn.

Zayn watched him go, though Liam was younger than the boys by a year, he was still in the same class as them. Sometimes he wished Liam could open up a little to him also as he is with Harry.

Louis nudged him and brought him back to the real world, indicating Niall and Perrie were coming their way. When Perrie reached, they held their hands together, starting their charade.

How much Zayn wanted Liam to be in place of her only he knew. But he couldn't complain, he was in this situation because of himself.

Zayn was sure that his little crush on Liam was becoming something more and he was scared to death upon having this realisation. In the past years, he really tried not to be mesmerized by the mop of curls, the big brown eyes that screamed innocence, the sweet and soft voice that was music to his ears. He really tried, but who could not fall for such an angel.

He could only wish that someday he may be confident enough to tell Liam what was in his heart and could only hope that he reciprocated the same feelings, which he was sure was not possible.

If only he knew.

............................................................................

Please vote and comment 🙏
Tell me if you like this story.