Chapter 3

The fresh air stroked your skin. The leaves were green above the two of you. You were walking in the garden together with the young man named Tintin. Neither of you had said something. Enough, you thought.

"So Tintin, what do you do for a living?"

He seemed as if he was deep in thought, but when you asked him the question he seemed to come back to reality.

"I'm a journalist."

That's where you knew him from! He was a famous reporter. You had often read in the newspaper about his many adventures.

"You're quite famous" you said smiling "I have read about your adventures many times."

You could see him blushing. Maybe he wasn't used to getting compliments. He was sweet, a total opposite to many men who had approached you before. You were young, but as a daughter to a wealthy businessman, people expected you to marry young. But you had no interest in marrying a man and killing your freedom.

"Could you tell me about them?"

He chuckled. "I can tell you how I met Captain."

For the rest of the cozy little walk Tintin told you about his adventures and he seemed to open up to you. You liked him, there was something about him that made you feel safe.

***

You walked for a while. Milou ran happily around in the garden, chased birds and disappeared for a few minutes before returning back to you and Tintin.
He told his stories with such feeling that you couldn't help but listen excitedly. You asked questions and he happily answered. He was less tense now. You enjoyed his company, it had been a while since you had a friend your own age.

"Enough about me. How did you end up here?"

You turned to look at him. His blue eyes inspected your face. You smiled.

"I'm the daughter of one of the four men who owns 'The Golden Boys Bank'" you sighed. "The other three owners children are all my friends, and the oldest four of us were supposed to inherit the business. There were me, Monica, Christopher, and Elton. When Elton and Monica confessed they were a couple everyone started to nag about how me and Chris should be one as well.

You paused and looked down at your shoes.

"I really liked Chris and he liked me too, but I couldn't do it. I wanted more in life than to become someone's wife.
One day my parents organized a ball and asked Senora Castafiore to come sing. I had always enjoyed singing for fun and I offered to sing a song for the guests. She liked me and asked if I wanted to come along and 'learn how show business works.' It was my only chance for a small adventure."

You smiled sadly towards the young redhead walking next to you.

"I'm sorry" he said. You smiled.

"It's not your fault. You don't have to apologize."

***

You were sitting in a living room. Madam Castafiore was practicing with Wagner somewhere else, Irma was probably in her room. In your hands you had a book about vikings. Next to you on the sofa was the curled up dog. Milou was between you and Tintin who were also sitting there. The Captain sat in an armchair. He had continued to read the newspaper. Suddenly he gasped.

"This is just horrible. Listen to this: 'A young couple missing.' And there's a picture. Oh, they couldn't be much older than you, lass."

You walked over to the armchair to get a look at the article. Your face turned pale.

"That's Monica and Elton" you stuttered.

"You know these people?" Captain asked, surprised by your reaction.
Tintin stood up and went over to the two of you. He put a comforting hand on your shoulder.

"It's her childhood friends, Captain. (Y/n), do you have any clue if they might have been kidnapped?"

"I... I think so... Monica isn't the one to disappear." You looked down on the floor, trying to grasp this weird situation.

"Would anyone have a motive?" The reporter tried to make eye contact but you could only keep on looking down. You were afraid that if you looked him in the eyes you would cry.

You took a deep breath. "There might be. Someone could want money to let them go, or they want this." You tilted your head and looked the worried boy in the eyes. With one hand you lifted the little stone that hung around your neck.

"Why would they?..." Tintin started. You interrupted.

"All of us have one of these. Well, Monica and I have necklaces and the boys have little keychains." Around the pink stone there was a small thread of silver making a pattern. "The other ones have different patterns. Together they open a vault that contains money. And I am not talking about a small sum of money."

Tintin gasped. "You might be in danger then" -he paused and turned his head to face the window, he was thinking- "... maybe you should stay here longer. If you'd like, it's safer than being on the road."

The Captain nodded.

"I couldn't possibly ask you that!" you exclaimed.

"Don't worry, it won't bother us at all. In fact we haven't had pleasant company in a while." The Captain said looking at the door with a irritated expression on his face.

"Then, I guess I will." You said softly.

Tintin smiled apologetically, but on the inside he was smiling for more reasons than to comfort you. He had gotten a chance to get to know you better, and he was happy about it.