Chapter 9

Something kept him up but he couldn't put his finger on what. He sat up in his bed and tried to figure out what he knew about the case:

1. Monica and Elton had disappeared.

2. The reason is probably to gain access to the money the company possessed.

He lowered his eyebrows into a puzzled expression. Who could be behind this?

The young journalist sighed and turned to his side. Why did he want to help this young woman?

To solve the case, that's all, he thought.

But there was something about you, the way you made him feel.

He turned around again, Milou gave him an annoyed look as he had changed his position

***

Someone knocked on your door.

What time is it?  you thought as you stood up in the darkness.

The wood floor creaked as you made your way to the door. You had slightly opened the door when a barely visible Christopher came rushing in. Stunned, you slowly closed the door behind him. The brown haired boy paced, you could tell by the sound of his shoes against the creaky floor.  You flicked the lights on and realized.

Christopher was once again crying.

"What..." you started.

"I couldn't sleep," the young man interrupted, "I have all of these questions. What if they are coming for us? What if they suspect us? What if..."

"Woah! Woah! Woah! Slow down. What do you mean? Who would suspect us?"

You sat down and patted next to you on the bed for him to sit, but he just ignored you.

"The Police! Think about it! What if they believe that we are the kidnappers?"

"Chris, calm down. Please. People are sleeping."

"I'm sorry, I just... I'm scared Y/n. I'm terrified of the though that you might be in danger." -he stopped himself to breathe for a moment and then sat down on the bed- "I know that you felt like you had to leave to be free. That you had so much pressure on you. But please, don't leave me again. I know that you don't feel the same anymore, I know that. Just stay with me so that I know that you're safe."

For once, you didn't know what to say. There was so much pain in his voice.

"I promise, I won't go anywhere without you. Until everything is cleared up."

"I don't like that reporter guy," the young man said slowly "I think you should stay away from him."

"He is here to help us, Chris. You can trust him, he's been nothing but kind and helpful."

"How long have you known him?"

"I... Not that long..." you stopped as you knew that he had a point.

"That's what I'm saying, Y/n. Just because he is nice does not mean that he is good" he muttered.

"Just because we don't know him that well does not mean we have to be suspicious of him. What would he gain from all of this?" you snapped.

Christopher whispered something under his breath.

"I know you're worried, so am I! But we need all of the help we can get, okay?" you tried to be calm. You could tell that the young man was worked up about the whole situation.

It got quiet for a moment, all you could hear was the waves of the ocean singing outside of the small little window.

Christopher was the first to break the silence.

"Can I stay in here? Like we used to when we were kids. Remember? The four of us climbing onto my parents bed." He chuckled a little.

"We were so chaotic. I don't understand how they let us! And Monica always fell asleep first!" you said quietly, smiling at the memory.

***

Tintin couldn't help but to notice how Christopher was looking at you -and he hated it.

The two of you had come in to the little dining hall together. You had been explaining the feeling of performing in front of a crowd as a woman, something Chris didn't really understand.

"How could it be different from a man?" he asked and Tintin cringed.

He must know nothing about real life, that one.

You opened your mouth to say something but Tintin answered instead:

"It is a mans world. She is lucky to have gotten such good education, a lot of women don't. I completely disagree with the people who think women should only stay at home. They have so much potential."

Christopher looked stunned, maybe a little embarrassed that he hadn't thought of that. 

"Then your are very brave" Christopher said with his charm turned up to 150 and discretely gave the reporter a dirty look.

"So..." you said trying to change the subject, "Chris wants us to meet his parent at their vacation house . We could ask them a few questions, get some rest, and try to solve this mystery. All of us are welcome."

"Good idea, lass" Captain Haddock commented.

"I think it would be a great opportunity to ask some questions" Tintin added.

The morning light flowed through the window and hit your hair. The young journalist got nervous for a moment. Have you always been that beautiful?

"So where are we headed?" the Captain asked.

"We'll arrive in New York tonight, from there we'll take a plane down to Ecuador..."

"They have this lovely house in the mountains!" you exclaimed excitedly, "And the most beautiful garden!"

The young redhead smiled at your excitement, the same excitement as the day when he told you about his travels.

"And they have this cute little bookstore too!" you smiled at Tintin.

"It sounds lovely" the reporter responded softly, and for a second it felt as if there was just the two of you in the room.