Chapter 5

The hour were late when the four of you arrived at the central station in Stockholm. Although being in the middle of summer the Scandinavian breeze blew coldly. Your thin jacket didn't help. You had made your way outside, the night was light and quiet with only a few people walking on the other side of the street. The Captain was quiet and sometimes muttering things for himself. He must be tired, you thought. You were also tired. You had conflicted feelings about everything it seemed. You felt guilty about leaving Monica, but at the same time you had to do what was best for yourself. Tintin was also something you thought about. You liked him a little, but there was no way you two could work out, right?

The sound of Milou barking snapped you out of your thoughts. Without you realizing it, the four of you had started walking down a street. The two men were walking side by side before you. The dog was as usual sniffing around and exploring as you walked down the street.

"Here we are!" Tintin happily exclaimed.

Finally, you had come to the hotel. You stopped. Tintin and Captain Haddock started walking towards the door. Out of nowhere a feeling of not being able to breed struck you. Tintin turned around to look at you. He had noticed that he couldn't hear the sound of your shoes no more. You had turned pale. The Captain had already made his way through the hotel doors. You could see through the big windows how he had already gotten his keys and was heading for the elevator. Tintin walked over to you.

"Hey..? What's wrong?" Tintin said softly. He was standing so close that you could pick up the way he smelled.

"I don't know what to say to them." Tears started forming in your eyes. "Their daughter is missing and then I show up out of nowhere. I don't even know what to say to them!"

Tintin looked at you, worry painted his face. Tears streamed down yours, but you couldn't meet the boys gaze. You had held every worry inside until now and opening up to someone you just met felt strange. On the other hand, it was Tintin who you were talking to.

"I'm sure we'll figure something out tomorrow" he said and gave you a soft smile. He put his free hand on your cheek and wiped a tear away with his thumb. "It'll be alright."
He suddenly realized what he was doing and exclaimed:
"Great snakes, you're cold! Come on I'll take your bag." - he took your old trusty bag from you - "Let's go inside and get some sleep, shall we?" He hurried away inside, you unfroze and followed the reporter inside.

***

The Captain knocked on the big white door. You stood behind him, next to you stood the boy with red hair. It was awkward, no, he was awkward. You could still feel how his hand was placed on your cheek and the warmth he had in his eyes when he looked at you last night. Now he was immersed in thoughts and didn't say much. Would it always be like this? He would do something sweet, then panic and be super awkward the next day?

"Good day, my name is Captain Haddock and..." Her parents had opened the door. You took a step to the right so that they could see you. The Captain didn't even get a chance to continue before Mrs. Bergsten grabbed your wrist and pulled you into a big hug. Her perfume filled your lungs.

"Oh, sweet child! Thank God you're safe." you hugged her back.

"Excuse me madam, but could we come in for a moment?" Tintin asked softly.

"Of course"-she let go of you and made a welcoming hand gesture- "come on in."

You walked through the giant apartment to a room with a big fireplace. You sat down in an armchair, Mrs. Bergsten on a sofa and your new friends on a sofa opposite to the Mrs.

"My name is Tintin. We'd like to ask you a few questions about the disappearance of your daughter and her partner, if you don't mind?" Tintin asked.

Mrs. Bergsten gave you a sad smile.

"Have you received any note that could be of interest? Like a 'I'm running away' note or a note asking for ransom?" Tintin was direct with his questions.

"No, nothing" she sighed.

"What about Chris?" you heard yourself asking. "I mean, if you've heard anything from him lately?" you quickly added.

"He sent a letter a few weeks ago... I think..." the woman closed her eyes and searched her memory. "He said something about wanting to try the life of a sailor... yes.. he had gotten a job on a ship somewhere. Wait, I will go fetch it."

The woman stood up and left the room, returning with a small letter. She put on a pair of glasses and skimmed through it.

"The ship will leave the port... today" she said and looked up at Tintin.

"Then we have no choice but to find him. He might be in danger!" you said in a worried tone. "Maybe he knows something." You gave the reporter a pleading look.

Tintin looked out the window, his eyes told you that he was thinking.

"We better hurry then" he said.