15. Way too big; [ God was shining on me.]

Dedicated to temi90top

15.// Way too big;[ God was shining on me.]

Song for chapter: beautiful people by Ed Sheeran And DJ Khalid.

Leaves crunched under my feet as I ran nonstop around grandpa's compound. My pedometer was firmly attached to my waistband as I ran, round and round.
The Christmas break was here, and where else would we spend it than at mom's parent's house.
Igbo people seem to have a thing for Christmas. Mom's brother's family too. They were here, including Maximus.

He was running beside me. It was his way of showing support so I don't have to feel too bad about running on Christmas Eve. I kept running, knowing fully well mom was watching from the balcony.
It had become a norm, me running every morning in my attempt to lose a few pounds.

And no, I still haven't gotten used to it, this is definitely not the kind of thing you get used to.

All of a sudden, I tripped on something furry and fell face flat. Eliciting a ground-shaking thud, even Maximus that was ahead of me by a few steps stopped. I groaned and winced, turning on the dusty ground.

"Jesus Christ!" Maximus exclaims, genuinely concerned. And rushes to crouch beside me, wiping sand off my face and arm.

A painful ache courses through my entire body as I struggle to get up but fail miserably.
I squint my eyes to the balcony to see Grandpa talking to mom. From the way mom's looking, Grandpa isn't exactly saying something nice.
My gaze is still firmly fixed on mom and Grandpa when I suddenly feel something wet and slimy on my cheeks.

I cringe and move backward in shock, only to realize it's just one of grandpa's many dogs. I hissed in annoyance. Maximus threw his head back, letting out a burst of boisterous laughter. "God! You should have seen your face..." His whole body shook as he laughed even harder.

Annoyed, I got up and left him basking in his laughter.
* * *

When I had taken a shower and changed my clothes, I decided to relax for a while on the balcony. I met Grandpa sitting comfortably and just staring into space.
Not wanting to disturb his peace, I turned around to leave when he called out my native name, "nkiruka." His baritone voice stopping me in my tracks.

"Grandpa?" I smiled wholeheartedly as I sat on the rocking chair, close to him.
He averted his gaze to face me. A smile decorating his face.
He's as handsome as the last time I saw him. Made me wonder how much more handsome he was during his youth. Although he was old, he was well built, a retired army general.

"Do you know what your name means?" He asked.

I shook my head, "no."

He chuckled and shook his head, amused. "Children of nowadays." He paused. "It means the best is still to come.
I want you to always remember that. The best is still to come. Don't stop for nothing."
I nodded, not knowing what to say since I didn't know where the conversation is headed.

He stared straight ahead. Just when I brought my phone out of my pocket cause I thought the conversation had ended, he spoke again.
"I had a few words with your mom this morning. And I'm not happy."

I straightened up, "with me?" My voice was shaky, hinting at sadness.

He was quick to reply. "No, no. I could never be unhappy with you. Never. You're my favorite grandchild. " He stretched his hands and placed it on mine. A smile spread across my face, matching his.

"In fact, it's your mom I'm not happy with. She's forcing you to do too much. Exercise is good for you, no doubt. But she's taking it to an entirely different level. Losing weight isn't automatic. For some people, it takes a few weeks. And others, a few months. Even some take years.