20. Way too big ;[Trouble was brewing.]

20.// Way too big ; [trouble was brewing.]

"So you guys are just five left now?"
Maximus asked, sprawled out on the couch in the living room with one hand under his head and the other on his stomach. While I sat on the floor, with my back resting on the couch Maximus was lying on, watching spies in disguise.

" Yeah. Next Saturday will be the last performance. Then according to votes and how well you've performed, the winner will be chosen." I explained, munching on my half-eaten Apple. I glance at the bowl in which half dozen of Apple lay waiting for me to devour it.

"I'm impressed you've gotten this far in the competition.  But..." I expected the but, there's always a but.
"... what if you don't win?"

I swallowed the Apple in my mouth before replying, "it's no big deal. I'm over-excited I've gotten this far. So if I don't win, it's no big deal."
I took another apple out of the bowl, "by the way, everyone gets a prize, whether you're the winner or not."

"That's great then. So your last performance is on Saturday?"

"Yeah," I answered with my mouth full.

"What time?" He asked.
"9:00 am. The votes will be recorded all through the day and by midnight the results will be announced."

He switched to a sitting position, his left leg almost hitting the bowl of apples. "Aren't you supposed to be at the gym by that time?"

"I am." Maximus had zero ideas that I've been going out of school on Thursdays in the guise of visiting the hospital for a medical appointment. And out of the gym on Saturdays to record my song in the studio.

Maximus said nothing, he just stretched to take one Apple out of the bowl. Then he started laughing hysterically, he raised the bowl to his eye level. "What is this?" He dropped the bowl and collapsed on the couch, holding his stomach as he laughed uncontrollably.
"What the hell does an apple a day keeps the doctor away mean? And why is it plastered on the bowl?"

I fight the laughter that's about to erupt from my lips, rubbing the back of my neck in embarrassment. I nudged Maximus ribs with my elbow, "tell that to dad when you see him."

His laughter gradually faded, "Oh man! That's one hell of a motivational write-up Where's dad by the way?"

"At the hospital."

"The others? I haven't seen anyone since I arrived."

"Mom took Eric and Elizabeth to school. Said something about preparing for a competition."

***

"Tests are going to commence next week. I'm sounding it now for those of you the have ear problems. Next week Monday. Then after that start preparing for your mock exams. Cause as you all know, your waec exams are around the corner.
This school has a clean record When it comes to waec exams. So I'm advising and probably warning y'all that you cannot afford to fail." The principal is back. Fully recovered from whatever illness that prevented him from coming to school for one month straight. The acting principal has been made the vice-principal now.

"It has come to my knowledge that Some of you haven't been attending extra evening lessons but that nonsense stops now. Starting today, it's compulsory for all of you to attend the evening lessons arranged by teachers of this prestigious school to prepare you for your waec."
A general groan and murmuring ensued.

"Murmur all you want. The lesson is compulsory. I might just decide to add morning lessons to it if I notice you're not preparing enough." He shrugged nonchalantly.

Who offended this man?

"Then there shall be a parent-teacher's meeting after your mock exams. Inform your parents. Even if you don't. I'll take the honor and do it myself." He finalized and flashed us All a smile I found creepy. There was a general groan again.