33. Way too big; [minor fall, major lift.]

33.// Way too big;[ minor fall, major lifts.]

"Soooooo, we'll be co-hosting a concert in two weeks. It's going to be one of the biggest in Africa. Top artists and DJs will be live." Tom announced, "And I want you and Crystal to perform." He pointed two fingers at us.

"So you two, come up with something.
Then we'll practice intensively next week."

"Yesss!" Crystal and I said in unison.

"Great, now y'all can shuu away from my studio," Tom said, already pushing Praise out of the door whilst chuckling.

As soon as we were seated in Praise's car, Chris requested, " can you please drive us to Loveth's specialist hospital?"

Crystal, who was seated in the passenger seat, and Praise turned back to us,
"Hospital?"
"Why?"
They asked at once. Their faces masking confusion.

We briefly exchanged looks, Chris and I.
"Naomi needs to see a friend."
They nodded in understanding and we zoomed off.

Disappointment is pretty much an understatement when the doctor, who I had luckily bumped into, told me Naomi already left with her husband.

I was relieved she was okay but it hurt that I didn't even get to see her conscious.

I knew close to nothing about her so there was no way on earth that I could find her.

***

Coming out of the bathroom, I was clad in only a towel. With my pinky finger stuck in both ears. Trying to remove the water in there. I still don't understand why water keeps getting stuck in my ear, every damn time.

I jump in fear and almost scream when I see someone in my room, on my bed. My heart slowly returns to its normal pace when I see it's only Elizabeth.

An awkward silence ensues. Her facial expression was just stoic. She wasn't smiling, she wasn't frowning either.

Elizabeth breaks it after 60 seconds, "some people are here to see you. They're waiting in the downstairs."

And without another word, she stood up from my bed and walked outside. I followed her to lock the door so I could get dressed when I saw the retreating figure of Elizabeth and Eric.
"I just wonder what she's done this time..." Elizabeth said to Eric who replied,
"What else? She must have caused trouble or beat up a random stranger to a bloody pulp and they're probably here to report to mom."

I didn't wait to hear the rest, I slammed my door.

***

Soon, I was dressed and on my way downstairs to see whoever was here to see me. Or report me to mom.
Might as well get over it once and for all.

Not knowing I was in for a big surprise. I didn't know when a scream escaped my lips. And before I know it, I'm enveloping Naomi in a bone-crushing hug until we both almost fall. Narrowly saved by her husband.
It didn't even notice the bandage on her leg in the first place.

"Oh, my God...No one has ever been so excited to see me." She didn't stop laughing.
"What? I'm always excited to see you." Her husband interjected.

"Oh please..." She flipped her hair at him and turned to me and held both hands.

"You're such a lifesaver." I simply smiled. I was going to ask about her baby and how she knew where I live when I was rudely interrupted.

"Ahem..." It was none other than the idiot, Eric.

It was then I realize Eric, Elizabeth and mom are all watching in utter bewilderment.

I cleared my throat, "mom, this is Naomi. She's the one I took to the hospital on the day of the competition. She was in an accident."

Seems like they were all still doubting me and they all still think this is probably one of my shenanigans.
So Naomi explained to mom. Mom nodded in understanding. If my eyes aren't playing tricks on me, I think I saw mom look in my direction and genuinely smile.

She said she was eternally grateful to me, said her child is with her mom right now and she'd like to invite me to a party she's organizing for the new baby.
I promised I'd come.

She thanked me profusely, thanked mom too. (Not that mom did anything to deserve her thanks.)

Just as they were about to leave, she brought out a phone from her handbag.
It was my phone, I almost ran mad.
Although the screen was broken, I was just so happy to see it. I placed it on my cheek to feel it. The nostalgia.
I  thought I lost you.

"The mechanic found it in the car..." Naomi said.

"Thank youuu." I hugged her, careful not to touch the bandaged part of her leg.

"I should be thanking you. And since your phone is all bashed up. I got you a new one." She brought out the latest version of an iPhone from her bag.

If I almost ran mad when I saw my phone, this time I actually ran mad with excitement when I saw this new one.

***
"Can I talk to you?" Elizabeth asked, leaning on my doorway.
"Yeah sure."
The awkwardness was still there. The tension, clearly evident.

"So here goes nothing." She seemed to be talking to herself.
"I'm sorry."

Okay, pause, despite all the surprises I've been getting recently, from Chris, Tom, and Harry, even Naomi.
This one seemed to surprise me the most.

"Sorry for?"
She rolled her eyes, "oh you know what? let's just trash it out once and for all."

And we did, we talked till late at night. We vented. Apologies were rendered, thoughts were shared.

"You should tell mom about the concert so you can go freely instead of sneaking out, although you've become a pro at this sneaking out thing." She chuckled.

"I better do that now before mom goes to bed. Wait in my room till I come..." I hopped off the bed, "and Elizabeth?"

"Yeah?"
"Don't touch my iPhone."
"I wasn't even going to." She was struggling to keep a straight face but failed miserably. And soon she was grinning like a maniac.

***
"You'll be back tomorrow?" I heard mom say. She was sipping coffee and sitting at the dining table.

She chuckled lightly, "You had better! It's high time we do something together as a family." I just knew she was talking to dad.

"I love you too."
I scrunched my nose and gagged.

"Mom!" I didn't know why I said it like that but I was hoping to startle her and I succeeded.

"Naomi! My God! How long have you been standing there? Don't ever scare me like that again."

I just stood there grinning, infuriating mom the more.
She raised a brow, "is there something you want to tell me? Cause we have things to talk about. I was just about coming to your room."

"You go first..." I urged.

"As a proud woman that I am, I won't tell you sorry." Mom stated.

"I know that." My teeth were still displayed.

"Good, but I'm going to tell you...would you stop grinning like a maniac?"

I didn't stop smiling like a creep. I didn't even know why I was doing this but it amused me.

"You know what? Forget it. What do you want to tell me?" She asked, already getting up and dropping her cup in the sink.

"I'll be performing at a concert in two weeks and I'm here to ask for permission."

"A concert? You're dreaming!"

"I'm not. The concert..."

Mom(soon-to-be ex-mom if she doesn't let me go) yawned, " I can't hear a thing you say." And walked out of the kitchen just like that.

I groaned, I groaned again.
I was on a groaning spree when an idea hit me like a brick.
I pulled out my bashed phone and called the one person who could make things happen.
Grandpa.

A/n: The last chapter comes up tomorrow. 😊