34. Way too big; [Greatness; There's no stopping it.]

34.// Way too big;[ Greatness; There's no stopping it.]

Song for chapter; guts over fear by Eminem and sia. And way too big by Burna boy.

I was blinded by the lights on stage. Damn, I should have just worn my glasses. Why didn't I just put it back on after my makeup was done?

Oh, you read right!
A light makeup was done for crystal and me. I couldn't come out on stage looking like an ogress.

I blinked approximately sixty times when I saw my reflection in the mirror. Who is this very fine version of myself? I took pictures with my iPhone and sent them to our group chat.

Not like the girls weren't going to see it when I eventually came out on stage.

If I felt butterflies and jitter in my stomach while I was backstage, now I think a chemical war is going on in my stomach.
Oh, something was definitely exploding in there.
And in my chest too.
My not-so-tiny heart was pumping fast. And it didn't seem like it was going to calm down any moment.

When my eyes eventually got accustomed to the blinding lights, or did they reduce the brightness when they saw me shielding my precious eyes with my hands?

Either way, I could clearly see the audience now and man, was I astonished.

Each row was filled to the max. People were everywhere.
Is it sick that I think of a suicide bomber being in our midst?

Get hold of your destructive self, Naomi.

When the instrumental for "guts over fear" by Eminem began playing, I was thankful that I was given a microphone connected to my ear and not one to hold because my hand suddenly began to vibrate. In fact, I think my whole body began to.
The irrational part of me wanted to run backstage and lock myself in the toilet. What's this sudden stage fright?

I caught sight of where my family was seated, grandpa gave a salute, Samantha and haliya's hands were intertwined like they were praying or super anxious. Maximus wriggled his brows and gave a thumbs up.
Chris!
Chris! His hands formed the love sign and he winked.

Then someone started clapping, I don't know who, but slowly the whole crowd joined in and started clapping.

That was probably just the energy I needed. The instrumental started again. This time I held onto crystal hand and the rest was history.
I sang like it's the last thing I'll do.
Even at a point, I jumped.
Eminem's verse flowed smoothly.
And crystal, oh her part was perfection. Her high-pitched voice and tiny size moving the crowd to tears.

When I sang my last verse, every word echoed in my head like a message.

"So this is for every kid who all's they ever did
Was dreamt of one day just getting accepted
I represent him or her, anyone similar
You are the reason that I made this song

And everything you're scared to say don't be afraid to say no more
From this day forward, just let them a-holes talk
Take it with a grain of salt and eat their fucking faces off
The legend of the angry blonde lives on through you when I'm gone
And to think I was a

I was a...
Afraid to make a single sound
Afraid I would never find a way out, out, out
Afraid I'd never be found
I didn't wanna go another round
An angry man's power will shut you up
Trip wires fill this house with tip-toe love
Run out of excuses with every word
So here I am and I will not run

Guts over fear
The time is near
Guts over fear
I shed a tear
For all the times I let you push me 'round
I let you keep me down
Now I got, guts over fear
Guts over fear"

Crystal screamed. Ran to me and jumped on me. The crowd got up, clapping, cheering, wolf-whistling. Samantha, haliya, Elizabeth, and Maximus suddenly came upstage,  crushing crystal and I In a bear hug. I don't when know how they were even able to pass the backstage security.

"Nao, you're crying..." Samantha said.
I was?
I didn't even realize it.
Crystal was too.

As if the whole thing happening on stage wasn't enough, confetti poured down on us. Was this planned?
Confetti?
It wasn't even a competition.
But we are winners regardless.

We went backstage, everyone was there.
Grandpa held my shoulder and said, "Tonight we celebrate, okay? No crying. Only celebrations."
I nodded vigorously.

Everyone took turns in hugging me. Oh, and did I mention? Crystal is crying hysterically in her dad's arm. Tears of joy.

Tom and harry.
Grandpa and grandma.
Mom and dad.
The guys from mom's shop.
Naomi and her husband.
Even Elvis was here! He overheard Samantha, Haliya, and me talking about it in school and he made it his life mission to come.
Who was I to stop this hyperactive kid?

Eric just looked uninterested and unbothered. I understood that some people will never like you, even for no reason. And that's just their problem.
It's none of my business.
Why?

Cause I'm;
WAY TOO BIG,
WAY TOO SMART,
WAY TOO COOL.

***
The final exams were starting on Friday. I dragged Samantha to corper Dare's office. She didn't even know why I was dragging her.

The door was slightly ajar, I didn't even knock.
I slammed three textbooks on his table, causing him to flinch.
"What's this?" He asked, irritated.

"You're going to teach us maths, you're going to explain to us until we understand every bit of it. I have evidence of your sneaky activities with Shade and I will not hesitate to expose you. And you know what that means. So you better start teaching us, cause we cannot afford to fail. No, we can not!"

He was speechless. He gave us an incredulous look, rubbed his temple in frustration, and then sighed in defeat, "sit down and bring out your worksheets."

A shit-eating grin spread across my lips.

Losing weight? Oh c'mon, we all know that's a gradual process.

Oh and lest I forget, Chris and I?
We have our whole lives ahead of us, so we'll take things slowly.

Oh and one more thing I want y'all to know? The best is yet to come. So brace yourself!

***
A/N - October 1st, 2020- July 29th, 2021. That's how long it took me. 🥺

Thank you! Thank you so much! From the bikini bottom of my heart, thank you!❤

Ps: I should write an author's note tomorrow.