18. Way too big; [taking risks.]

18.// Way too big; [taking risks.]

This is risky. Very risky. Trying to sneak out of the gym just thirty minutes after I've arrived. If mom ever finds out. I'm toast, literally. Sweat broke out on my forehead and my body. My clothes stuck to my body cause of the rate at which I was sweating.

Chris and I had thoroughly planned this out. And if things all go out as planned, in the next few minutes I'll be in a music studio just down the road recording my song and sending it to the group by midnight. Tonight's performance will determine whether or not we'd be allowed to move to the next segment.
Tonight is the elimination night.
Ten people would be eliminated tonight. Scary stuff, I tell you.

I was getting impatient, "is the coast clear?" I asked as I tapped my feet lightly against the tiles.
"No, chill. There's no rush." He replied looking back and forth repeatedly. I sighed and leaned on the wall.

After a few minutes, I asked again "Is it clear yet?"

"Yes."
"Finally!" I heaved a sigh of relief and was about to move out when he pulled me back by my wrist, causing me to almost lose my balance.
"No silly. I was just joking." He cackled... alone. The part of my brain that dealt with humor was dead at the moment. My only focus was getting to the studio.

My shoulders deflated in resignation."Gee, thanks." I huffed. Still skeptical, I asked, "Are you a hundred percent sure your sister is at the studio.?"
He turned to me, giving me an incredulous look, then continued spying.
"Of course, she's there with my cousin. Don't worry, it'll be fin-- Go, go, go. Go now. Go right now." He suddenly urged, tugging my arm and slightly pushing me out.

Needing no further instigation from Chris, I Usain bolted myself out of there.

I made a run for it until I was a few houses away from the gym. The scorching sun shining brightly and burning fiercely against my skin. This sun is not for the weak. Definitely not for the weak.

Bringing out the handkerchief from the small purse which contained my phone and some change. I mopped my face that was uncontrollably dripping with sweat.

By the time I got to the building where the studio was, I was in a sweating and puffing mess. My breathing, uncontrolled, as I had walked hastily, looking back and forth like a damned criminal. After saying hello to the receptionist, I sat for a moment, enjoying the cold air from the AC as it dried up my sweat and left me feeling a bit refreshed.

Glancing at my wristwatch, I saw it's quarter to 9 o'clock. Realizing there's no time to waste, I shot up and headed to the flight of stairs. Soon,  I'm in a long hallway with doors scattered left and right. Each, a few yards apart.

Second door on your left on the 3rd floor. I vividly remember Chris' description.

I knocked lightly on the door.
One, two, three seconds, and the door burst open, startling me. Loud music could be heard from within and laughter too.
A young man who appeared to be within the age range of twenty-five, dressed in a white tee that hugged his body like a second skin, showed up. Leaning against the doorpost, blocking the entrance. His facial expression was stoic. He just stared.
"Hey, good morning." I waved awkwardly, "I'm here to see Crystal."

A moment of silence ensued before he finally spoke,
"Password?"
"What?" I blinked rapidly in utter confusion.
"You don't have the password?" He asked.  His facial expression remained stoic.
"I didn't know there was a password," I replied sincerely.
God, Chris is a fool for not telling me there was a password.

I brought out my phone to call Chris when his voice startled me. "are you calling the cops?" He lifted one eyebrow.

Dumbfounded, my mouth hung open as I stared at this young man who was now giving me a crooked smile.
Cops? Cops? Why would I be calling the Cops? Is there a reason why I should be calling the Cops? Heck, I don't even know the emergency number of the Nigerian police force.

Just as I was beginning to get worried as to why Chris wasn't picking up the call. His lips stretched into a lopsided smile and his facial expression into a full grin.
"Come on in, Naomi. I'm just messing with you. Crystal has been expecting you."

Before I could process what just happened and come up with a reply, Crystal showed up at the door, headphones hanging on her neck, attention fully focused on the guy. "Did I just hear you say, Naomi?"

As if on cue, she turned to me. Her jaws dropped as she froze.
Then a very high-pitched, " oh my god!" Ensued.
She screamed in excitement and started jumping, raising each foot simultaneously as she wriggled her hands. I had to turn around to make sure it was just me and you know? A popular celebrity wasn't standing behind me causing crystal to be hyperactive. It was just me.
Take note that this is the first time we're meeting in person.

Then out of the blues, this girl jumped on me. "Woah." I stumbled backward. Legs strapped around my waist and hands clutching my neck tightly.
"It really is you, Naomi. Oh my goodness..." She drew her face back to look at me as if trying to confirm if it's really me. "You have no idea, literally no idea how long I've been anticipating your arrival."

A smile broke out on my face, "me too, crystal."

"You've never been this excited to see me before." The young guy announced. I almost forgot he was still standing there, watching our little display of excitement and affection.

Crystal rolled her eyes, "oh c'mon. I see you almost every day."
She didn't even wait for his reply, she got off me and pulled me inside, "come on in."

I was undoubtedly astonished when I got inside and saw the interior. The walls, well padded. The tiles, so white and sparkling, I could see my reflection. The musical instruments are all arranged neatly in one corner of the studio. Even the booth. The AC is on full blast. The warm smiles and greeting I got.
Turns out, the young guy who opened the door was actually Chris' cousin.
He introduced himself as praise. And also introduced the two guys who owned the studio, Tom and Harry.

I noticed that Tom talked way more than harry. They both had tattoos on their arms. Tom's own is a drawing of a roaring lion, with its teeth fully displayed.
Harry's own was a simple beautiful drawing of the music emoji.

"Let's go over it one more time, kid. Get in the booth." Tom said.

"Yayyyy!"Crystal squealed and hopped on.
She put on her headset, closed her eyes, and sang faded by Alan Walker. She sang so well, I was impressed.
Really impressed. By the time she was done, mehn, I have never seen a kid so excited before. She jumped and thrust her fist in the air. Then squealed, flipped her curly hair, and jutted her hip, striking a pose.

Eliciting a thunderous clap and wolf whistles from all four of us.
Crystal was feeling herself. Her excitement was contagious.

"You're up next, kid," Tom said to me.
I let out an anxious sigh as I got up and walked into the booth. Rubbing my sweaty palm together as though that would help reduce the anxiety I felt.

The instrumental for darkness by Eminem played and at that moment I was in another world. Screwing my eyes shut, I rapped, word for word. Gesticulating with my hands.
By the time I was done. I slowly opened my eyes to see Crystal's bubbling as she jumped and clapped, Praise's lips stretched into a smile.
Tom's jaw was literally on the floor and Harry didn't stop wolf-whistling.