19. way too big; [manipulative son of a bitch.]

19.// Way too big ;[manipulative son of a bitch.]

Einstein once said, two things are infinite. The universe and human stupidity. I'm not quite sure about the universe but human stupidity never ceases to amaze me.

And Samantha, my dear, is a prime example.
"So you're trying to tell me you're on a diet to lose weight because of your newly found boyfriend? What's that his name again?" I asked again to make sure I understood what Samantha was trying to say.

She continued playing with the food. Using her fork to twist the spaghetti nonstop. Her eyelids drooped and then fluttered open.
"It's not like I'm starving myself. I'm just..." She paused, then heaved a sigh. "... eating right, like you are."

I choked, the water I was drinking spluttered out, and a few drops landed on Samantha's hand and shirt. I wiped my mouth with the back of my left hand.
"Say that again?" I requested.
Samantha turned her head to the left. Avoiding my gaze as much as possible.
"I'm just trying to lose stomach fat. That's all." She swallowed a lump that had formed in her throat.

Stomach fat? What in God's name is she saying, "I don't think I get what you're saying..." My forehead furrowed in confusion.

She dropped the fork and sighed. Finally turning to face me, she explained, "I'm trying to lose weight. Lose stomach fat. Is there anything wrong with that?" She averted her gaze again, "After all, you're also trying to lose weight." The last part came out as a whisper.

"There's definitely everything wrong with that. And our reasons are different for trying to lose weight. You are trying to lose stomach fat because your boyfriend suddenly finds a flat stomach attractive. Which is very stupid by the way. Because he should have thought of that before asking you out. You, Samantha, are trying to lose weight because of your boyfriend. Not because you want to." I clarified, trying to make her see the difference.

Samantha looked very uncomfortable, restless even. Consistently shifting on her seat, "Nao, listen. I'm just trying to be healthy. I thought you'd be happy that I'm finally trying to lose weight. I thought you'd be happy for me."

"I'd be happy for you if you're trying to lose weight and be healthy for yourself. Not when you're trying to lose stomach fat because of your boyfriend..." What the hell has gotten into Samantha?

She spoke in a soft, quiet voice. As though she was trying to convince me when she wasn't so convinced herself. "It doesn't matter. And his name is Dominic."

"I don't care. I don't care what his name is. I don't give a flying fuck." I stated, as a matter of fact, already raising my voice.

"Nao..." Samantha sounded like she was going to cry. Her eyes glistened with tears.

"No Samantha, don't play that card on me. Don't even think about crying." I threw both hands up in the air in frustration, " What has gotten into You? Cause now you're no longer eating. You're starving yourself. You're doing this to please this so-called boyfriend of yours!" I deadpanned.

I didn't expect Samantha's next statement, "you're also trying to lose weight because your mom wants you to. You're doing this because of her. It's not like you're doing it for yourself. We're not so different, Nao."

Dumbfounded, I just stared at Samantha who had already averted her gaze. That definitely came as a shock. I was speechless. I honestly couldn't believe that Samantha could say something like that. I couldn't decipher. Even after I had told her the circumstances that led to the whole losing weight and all that. I gulped down a lump that had formed in my throat.

Samantha looked suddenly remorseful, "Nao..." She stretched out her hand, reaching out to me. But I wasn't having any of it. Without a second glance at Samantha, I Picked up my bag and stormed out of the cafeteria. Grinding my teeth in anger.