30. Way too big; [Why would i wanna destroy something i helped build?]

30.// Way too big; [ Why would I wanna destroy something I helped build.]

Friday was here before we knew it. I was home alone. There's no way, in heaven and on earth, mom would let me come with them for the competition.
According to her, "I don't want any trouble. Any fighting. I don't want distractions. So it's best if you just stay at home." She had said.
What choice did I have?

I watched from the balcony upstairs as they hurriedly moved around the house, making sure not to forget anything. And soon, they were zooming off, out of the house, to wherever the competition would be held.

So here I was, trying to decide whether to watch tv till I fall asleep or go to Samantha's house; but on second thought, Samantha is In school.

In time, I settled with watching tv. My eyes fixated on the horror scene and my heart thumping, when my phone suddenly rang. Startling me.
I was surprised to see Eric's name on the screen. It baffled me. I mean, of all people, why would Eric be calling me?

Knowing Eric too well, I knew he just wanted to rub it in my face, cause he's going to his sports competition and he's going to win. So I ignored it.

Barely a minute later, Elizabeth was calling. I hadn't even picked up the phone when the landline started ringing.
I swiped the green button, I couldn't hear a thing Elizabeth was saying. It was like she was short of breath, she was hyperventilating.
She kept saying things like, "the ID card. The pass."

What ID?
Pass what?

Before I could say a thing, the line went dead. The landline continued ringing. I went over to it and placed the receiver on my ear, "Hello Naomi,
can you hear me?"

It was dad.
"Yes, I can."

"Thank goodness, I need you to check the dining table-"
My phone started ringing again, diverting my attention from what dad was saying. This time it was mom.
Panic mode set in, as I feared something terrible might have happened to them.

I picked mom's call and placed the receiver back, completely cutting off dad. At this point, I didn't know what I was doing anymore. I was scared and I didn't even know why.

"Naomi?"
"Ma, " I replied immediately.

"There are two ID cards on the table. It's mandatory for this competition. Elizabeth and Eric need it for this competition. I don't know how we forgot it but I need you to bring it to us immediately. I'll text you the address, go to my room and take money from my drawer and take an Uber or a taxi and come now." She said in a rush.

"Okay, mom."

"Naomi?" She spoke again.
"Mom?"
"Be fast about it," after a few seconds she added, " please."

"I will." Immediately the line went dead, I took the two ID cards on the dining table and raced upstairs.

I was opening the drawer when Elizabeth's call came in.
She was sniffing, "Elizabeth, calm down. I'll be there before you know it."

"Naomi, please. I'm begging you. You know how much this competition means to me," she didn't stop sniffing and crying.
"Promise me you'll bring it, promise me, Naomi." She begged.
"I promise."

***
The traffic was hell. Vehicles stood at a standstill, there was no movement at all. The cause of the holdup? We had no idea.

I glanced at my phone, the time was ticking. Time was running out.
Without a second thought, I opened the car door, almost clashing with a bike man who was trying to maneuver his way through the traffic, and dashed out.

The taxi driver hollered, telling me to stop. But I didn't. Clutching the ID cards with sweating palms, I ran.
Attracting the attention of the majority of most of the people on the road.
It was quite a scene, the rate at which I was running. Not to forget that it's not every day you see a plus-sized girl running on the highway. Still wearing her pajamas and flip-flops.