Chapter 8

23rd of July, 2020

Well, another regular morning has broken. Not really a rainy one.

By this random boring morning, what can a 17-year-old boy do to get entertained? Maybe talk to Emma, I suppose? It's been a while since the last one so maybe try one today? Sure, let's give it a go. I mean it won't hurt a try...

JONA: Heey, Emma. How've you been? It's been a while since we last spoke.

EMMA: Oh hi😅, I didn't expect you there. Yeah, I'm pretty much done with the chores and have gotten pretty much bored with nothing to do. How about you?

JONA: Well, I've gotten melted around in this house and needed something to do.

EMMA: Have you tried cleaning the house? It kinda helps if you do.

JONA: Well unfortunately, the house is too clean to be cleaned up so what else?

EMMA: I'm not entirely sure about what can you do around the house. Sorry.

JONA: Oh no. It's alright, really. There's really just bad stuff here and there thanks to the Pandemic situation.

EMMA: Wait.

JONA: What?

EMMA: I haven't asked you about this, but do you play basketball?

JONA: No, I don't. Last time I did, I just simply lost interest with it.

EMMA: Ohh, I see.

JONA: What made you ask that?

EMMA: Oh, it's nothing.

JONA: C'mon, what's it about?

EMMA: Oh, alright😅. You see, I actually have a ball here that I use sometimes only.

JONA: Oh, so you play basketball?

EMMA: No, I don't. Shoot some hoops, maybe.

JONA: Then, how come you have a ball?

EMMA: I'm not entirely sure since it's been laying around the house.

JONA: Ahh, touché. So, what do you do with it if you're not shooting hoops?

EMMA: I don't really have that much to do with it anyways, so maybe fiddle it whenever I feel like it😆.

JONA: Is it that fun?

EMMA: Well, sometimes it is.

JONA: Ohhh, that seems fair.

EMMA: I see that you're sorta interested with my ball.

JONA: Uhhh, no?

EMMA: No, I mean it's okay if you do. I mean, there's nothing to be ashamed about if you are that interested.

JONA: Ohh, alright. Mind if I ask more questions about it?

EMMA: I don't mind if you do.

JONA: Okay, umm. Is it your brother's?

EMMA: Actually no, I don't have a brother but I have 2 sisters.

JONA: Maybe they do own it.

EMMA: I guess. But I'm not exactly sure if one of them actually do own it.

JONA: I see. Is it a regular size?

EMMA: Yes, it's regular yet I don't know what brand is it since it's been used overtime.

JONA: Ohh, okay. That's nice though.

EMMA: Do you want to borrow it? Like you said earlier, you had nothing to do around the house since you're that bored.

JONA: I'm not really that sporty.

EMMA: C'mon, it'll be fun.

JONA: Uhhh, okay sure. Besides, what do I want to do with this boring day?

EMMA: Great. I'll see you later.

JONA: Okay, okay, I'll meet you there. Wait a sec, why are you offering me to borrow your ball though?

EMMA: I'll explain later. Meet me in McDonald's.

JONA: Okay, thanks😁

Now, this is not a part of my boring routine in any sort-of forms but borrowing a basketball from a friend I just met at prom partner-up? That's like a rare opportunity and something like that.

Now, I was clearly a bit shy about it since it's my first time actually borrowing something from a friend in a while. I last borrowed a Rubik's Cube from my childhood best friend back in Grade 5 and returned it the next day. I'm more of a borrow-today, return-tomorrow kind of person so that makes it the difference.

So, off I went to physically meet up with Emma, which is so strange considering that I don't do such a thing during a Pandemic. Anywho, I arrived in McDonald's and she's not there yet. Or so I thought she isn't.

Moments later, just a few meters away, a girl holding a basketball came to the spot. A few minutes had gone by and neither one of us bothered the other. All was silent and awkward until I pull out my phone and started looking at the time. The girl noticed it and started approaching me. "Hey, are you Jona?", she asked. "Yes... wait. Emma?", I said, awkwardly.

Oh my Goodness, we've been standing for like 7 minutes and neither one of us even knew the other? How weird was that. Anyways, I decided to invite her to eat (and no, it's not a date) and coincidentally, she's actually hungry. She didn't want to at first but I insist anyways so she tagged along and went inside. Considering that she's holding a ball, I decided to line up for her instead. We both got the same rice meal since it's both our favorites. As I arrived at our table, she actually sat on the cushioned seat while she placed her ball by the side. While eating, we both get to talk about what books we'd read about, how's life so far and the like.

It was a nice, unboring afternoon. Turns out, my boredom was solved, and it's pretty nice to go out with a friend for a change. Though, this was nice, we had to get back at our homes before our parents started looking for us. We went for a short walk before parting ways at the intersection. She nearly forgot to hand over her ball but thanks to the slow walk, she was able to hand it over. By the end of the day, not only I got to know her more, we actually got to hang out together. This is such an opportunity, and I'm very happy for it.

AFTERNOTE

This chapter is over 1,000+ words and I'm waaaay too past my 700 word limit but I can't help myself for telling you this story without splicing some of the details off so yeah. There's that.