CHAPTER-3

"Home is people. Not a place. If you go back there after the people are gone, then all you can see is what is not there any more."

Present

The loud sound of whistle startles me from my day dreaming, I quickly tap spatula on the whistle and simmer off its flame. Then getting into the routine I place it on the counter to cool it off, while I start rolling out the dough for parathas. 

It feels strange to think it's been one year still I remember that day like it happened few seconds earlier. Then again it was total crash down  in my boring life, also being honest by myself I could never forget B-5 especially him.

I had many rueful memories and have to learn to move on.

Still the questions lingers in my mind, what was he doing in the department that day and importantly did he really forget everything about me, those events. 

Sighing to myself I unlock the pressure cooker draining the water in the adjoining sink, adding cool water to the potatoes for peeling them next. It was one of those days where I have to wake up extra early to prepare a hearty breakfast for everyone. Generally it'd be a routine meal but today it was agreed to be something different which no one included my opinion, I was only asked to do it.

I don't like to wake up early, 6:30 is my alarm but for days like these, I have to be up by 5: AM. I cannot afford to get late for my 9: 30 AM class and cooking for ten people takes definitely time and super extra effort. 

The long hourly bell of hall clock echoes all through rather empty kitchen alerting me it's already 8: AM by now. Speeding up the last bits I put the casserole of paneer parathas with Aloo Pushto curry on the table, rushing back to dust the stove and counter clean with the kitchen towel and putting the used utensils in the sink.

It is Tuesday meaning an early Biochemistry class for straight two hours, I cannot afford to be late. The professor Mr.Shukla already gives me annoying taunts for being late or not answering his random questions which by the way always includes me in whole class of thirty students. I'm dead sure he purposefully want to point out my tardiness in any way possible.

 I hardly miss running into Pari mammi while stepping  out of kitchen, I manage to balance myself trying to walk past her. I don't want to deal with her, this morning is already chaotic without her unappealing comments.

Still she asked me to stop.

"I have seen breakfast is already done, I'm sure it is going to be delightful like always. No one could beat your cooking skills." She smiles sweetly.

If not for her cunning ways, I would have agreed she was a beautiful woman. On the contrary every woman or girl in this family has blessed with beautiful features except for me. I have learned not to compare myself and these women can't get enough with showing off. Each elder in this family are scheming mentalities in my opinion. 

I have been terribly played by them in the earlier years of our stay, they are not bad just selfish and can alternate being good and bad on their own selfish wills. Over the years I have learnt to manage with their nature because I cannot openly object them.

Mamma says we're in their debt, I don't agree at all. Though I don't argue with her.

She sighed dramatically, continuing "Nothing is good about this morning." Oh how well I agree.

She blabbers about her routine while I keep glancing sideways at the ticking minutes of clock. After seven minutes she gets to the point, "To make the things worst washing machine had stopped working, so I was thinking as you are already done in the kitchen maybe you could wash the clothes. They are not many and you are young and energetic so  it'd just take you half an hour." She ends up smiling expectantly looking at me.