CHAPTER-23

"Romance is a tender kiss with a lingering promise of more to come."

I never understood what was it about long drives that I liked particularly?

The flips of air against my skin especially like tonight, the cool breeze fills me with calmness. The heavy boulder of repeated routines feels to be lifted for few minutes or as long as I'm in this bubble.

So I was bobbing my head to imaginative music enjoying while Bhai was driving his rented car. He was planning to get one for himself shortly. It was crazy since morning, going on shopping spree for last time. Hopefully it was.

Shopping itself was last option in my list that I opted for free days but doing it for my wedding was no joke. I couldn't take another trip and I firmly planned to not see the face of these shopping bags at least for couple of months.

I was juggling between classes, preparing for exams and in any spare hours to sneak in for shopping. My last paper was due on one day later- morning I'd complete it then prepare for my sangeet night.* In spite of detailed planning, everything seemed to be colliding with one another.

Though I can't deny the exhilarating feeling with dates nearing.

It was almost seven in evening by the time we reached home with body aching from roaming shop to shop and carrying multiple bags. My brother in law Vivan was asked to join us by Yamini aunt- no, mom. I was looking forward to have decent time with him. As with his  silent personality, my overthinking one- we hardly held a conversation.

Vivan Rajvansh eludes a peacefulness around him. Observant, he'd express his thoughts on his own accord. He was studying for pediatrician, honestly it suited his personality. In the same university with Bhai.

From the particular revelation, everything went down to be worst.

Both Bhai and he, what do I even call them. I fairly had my suspicions, still I didn't interfere at all. Vivan was extremely polite, talking with me completely disregarding Bhai's presence. The expression on Bhai's face, I could only conclude I have never seen him-

My thoughts were cut off when Bhai tapped my hand getting my attention. The strong whiffs of ginger, jaggery tea from our favorite tea stall brought a wide smile on my face.

'Ah, our spot like old times.'

I wait from our regular spot on bench glancing around, even if it was late hour of night they were fair amount of people near the stall. Bhai pass me the hot kulhad,* I wrap my fingers sniffing its aroma, blowing for few times before sipping it. Bhai chuckles enjoying his own tea, sitting beside me.

The sound of distant crickets, few murmurs fill the air. I wait for Bhai to initiate the talk on his own pace of comfort.

He clears his throat, I glance to see him awkwardly shifting in his place. I almost want him to stop but it's his call. He exhales a deep breath, "You must have already added two and two still let me confirm it. He keeps his gaze on the Kulhad in his hand, "Vivan, he was the one, you have heard that day."

A quick recall of the day is flashed in my mind.

'Bhai," I whine hoping he'd let go this time.

It was weekend as per routine he called to check on my academics, assignments as such. For last fifteen minutes, He was reprimanding me over and over pointing out my mistakes. He himself being a nerd is blessing for him and torture to me.

"No, Mishty. I want you to practice diagrams properly and repeatedly. It is turning out to be your biggest weakness, so stop whining. By your finals, I want you to learn them by heart. Do you honestly think professors grading your paper has enough patience to go through the whole length of answers? Your handwriting and context may be up to the mark but diagrams, oh God you are absolutely worse than kids doodling in pages."