Chapter 5- The Fire Demon

(COVER ART IS NOT MINE!! FOUND OFF OF PINTEREST!)

"Caw! go west! random fires killing innocent people and then feeding off of them! head west!" my crow yelled. I had decided to name him thrasher from how much he thrashed his wings.

I nodded grabbing my sword "I'm off!" I yelled to the others, "Be careful!" I heard Senjuro respond. i smile crept upon me before I opened the door leaving the estate.

I began my walk thinking of all the possibilities. Why would they make me fight a fire demon if my breathing technique was mist? Well, at least I get to actually be on my first mission.

Flashback.
"You stupid bitch!" my brother screamed throwing the plate at me. I was able to dodge it before it hit me in the head. "I'm sorry," I begged while I knelt down to clean up the scraps of glass. He pushed his light blue hair out of the way before turning to leave "I'm telling mother your the one who broke it." he said before leaving. I knew I couldn't protest against it. But why? why must I live like this? Why can't I be loved like all the girls at my school with no cuts or bruises on their bodies, and their family loves them for who they are not what they want them to be? I felt like a piece of my heart broke just by giving that a thought. When I was done I went outside to dispose of the plate, "Hey (Y/n)!" I heard a familiar voice say.

I turned to see my best friend, Yukio Izumi. He had short black hair that was fluffy and hung over his eyes, he wore a yellow yukata and black sandals. He had gray eyes that would shine in the sunlight.

I had a crush on Izumi-san.

He was strong and independent. He had a loveable family like I always wanted.

"Hi," I said softly turning to meet the gray-eyed boy. "You seem stressed? did something happen?" he said with worry. "No it-." I began before I heard a loud boom I looked over to see my mother standing in the doorway with eyes of fury, it looked like her eyes might pop out of her head. "So you want to break my perfectly good plate and come out here and talk to a boy like it's nothing!?" she said her hair swaying as she shook her head

"Wait no Mrs.(l/n)." Yukio put up his hands to try and calm her down. "I don't wanna hear it, peasant boy! I don't want my daughter hanging around people like you," she said grabbing me and pulling me inside.

it was always like this. always.

Yukio never talked to me again after that.. my mother's words truly affected him.

The boy I loved the most would most likely never talk to me now, forever.

Present time.
As I neared the village people were sleeping on streets in front of houses burnt to a crisp. Assuming they were victims of the demon, I went to ask a few questions.

"It was a normal-looking girl, except she had red hair and orange eyes." A woman told me shaking from the cold. "She had a sinister smile followed by a laugh." a man added. I nodded "I'll make sure she won't harass your village any longer." I reassured them.

I sat next to a shop waiting for night to creep upon me. I yawned getting up to take a look around.

After a few minutes, I saw a girl in the distance. she was crying, I went up to her. "Are you okay?" I asked the little girl, she looked up at me. Her orange eyes shone brightly in the moonlight, Just then did I realize she had red hair. She smiled a very evil grin as she stood up "My next victim, you'll be added to my list of demon slayers that I've killed." she said giggling. I jumped back grabbing my sword out of the scabbard. "You're the one killing all those innocent people, aren't you," I said my eyes narrowing.

"You'd do anything for food too wouldn't you?" she yawned before creating fire in her hands. "When you eat pigs does the pig's family form a whole alliance to try and kill you humans?" she said before shooting the fire at me. Her orange eyes glowed as the fire shot out.

I jumped to the side "You have a point. But in this world, it's different." I said jumping in the air. "Mist breathing, first form. Low clouds, Distant Haze." I yelled out before dropping down and slicing her hand off that shot the fire. Gasping she used her other arm to blast me in the face. I screamed as the flames burned my delicate skin.
I turn to the side coughing a bit. she giggled again, "I love my food a little toasty." she sneered making a fireball, and she hit me with it. "Mist breathing, second form. Eight-layered mist." I called out before blocking her attack. I had one arm over my eye and the other holding out my sword. The eye I was holding was a little burnt by the fire the girl had caused.

She ran at me again forming fire in her hands I shifted my weight to the side bending down to swipe her off her feet but she jumped in the air and hit me in the side with fire landing next to me.

Ignoring the stabbing pain in my side I whipped around slicing her neck a little bit with my sword. The red-haired girl screamed a blood-curdling scream as she kicked me in my face, Why was she so strong? I flipped myself backward blinking my eye a few times before handling my sword again. She launched herself at me and a long line of fire formed behind her as she kicked my stomach

Wh-why didn't I react? I thought as I flew backward hitting a nearby tree. I could feel my heart trying to keep up with my adrenaline, it was like I was trying to get away from my mother all over again. I got up and lunged forward before getting hit in the face again tumbling to the side

Why does it feel as though she got stronger?

"I can't let this fight go any longer." She said, her hair beginning to stand as fire emerged around her. I coughed. "You seem pretty beat up, hopefully, you still taste good." she giggled before launching herself at me.

When they expect you to go low, go high, When they expect you to go high go low.

I leaped in the air clutching my sword tightly "Mist breathing, third form. Scattering mist slash!" I called out twirling in a motion. The girl looked up ready to attack.

I dropped back down sliding and cutting her neck with one quick motion. "W-" she said as her long red hair was now short. Tears formed in her eyes as her body fell forward and started disappearing.

A sigh escaped my lips as I got up and looked back at her. "We call it the food chain for a reason," I told her answering her question back when we first met.

I put my sword back in the scabbard sighing and standing up, my first mission.

I began my journey back home, honestly, it felt nice knowing no more innocent people would have to be burned alive.

As I arrived back at the Rengoku estate nobody but Senjuro was home. he was sitting praying at a shrine. I crept into the room and sat next to him, "Oh (y/n)! your back." he said with a smile. I nodded "Where is everyone?" I asked. "Tokito-kun is out on a mission and so is kyojuro! and father is in the room sleeping like he usually is." I nodded getting up "I'm going to go sleep, my muscles are tired." I said with a smile before turning to leave. "Don't forget to brush your teeth!" "I won't." I laughed.

I went into the bathroom and brushed them as fast as I could, I was so tired I didn't care.

when I got into my bedroom I changed into my yukata and lay on my futon.