chapter 7 - language

---- MASON ---- 

---- MASON ---- 

pretty face - public 

Walking through the quad and down East Street with Riley by my side feels different.

Not going to lie, I am kind of surprised that she accepted my lunch offer. I'm well aware that she accepted reluctantly, but the bottom line is she said yes.

So here I am, walking side by side with a girl I met less than a week ago, getting ready to share a meal with her. 

Riley is oblivious to my eyes raking over her body as we walk, drinking in everything I can about her.

The way her long brunette hair is pulled into a high ponytail that sits on the top of her head, but her baby hairs still flap away in the breeze. Or the fact that she has a small can of pepper spray attached to her keys that she keeps gripped in her hand.

I'm taking it all in, hoping to find out more about the beachy North Carolinian who somehow ended up in the middle of Texas.

When we reach Taco Bar – the hands-down best Mexican restaurant on campus – I hold open the door for Riley, stepping in behind her. My stomach rumbles almost on cue as I stepped foot into the deliciously-smelling bistro.

"Mijo!" A rich singsong voice calls from the alleyway kitchen at the front of the restaurant.

"Hola, Maria." I grin.

Maria Vargas is the sixty-something owner of Taco Bar. She and her husband have owned the restaurant for nearly forty years, and they're one of the many reasons I keep coming back.

Ever since I walked in here during my freshman year of college and ordered in Spanish, Maria has practically adopted me. I love her to pieces, and knowing I have someone like her at Troyvens Creek has helped with the intense waves of homesickness I get.

"Te extrañé!" She speaks as she walks out from behind the counter, wrapping her arms around me.

"Yo también te extrañé." I hug Maria back as I respond. "Es bueno verte."

After holding onto me for a minute, Maria stands back, keeping me at arm's length as she stares at me. "Eres tan flaco... pareces un palo!"

"¡Por eso voy a comer!" I laugh. Maria seems to always criticize my weight every time I came to Taco Bar, telling me I am too skinny, even though I weigh over 200 pounds.

"Do you want your usual?" She asks as she took her position at the cash register.

"Yes ma'am."

"Okay. $8-"

I stop Maria as she began to rattle off the total, I know all too well. After eating here consistently for four years, I have the total for my three beef tacos, rice and beans, and Corona beer memorized.