chapter 23- disaster

- - - - MASON - - - - where's my love (acoustic) - syml 

where's my love (acoustic) - syml 

In the week since our first home game of the season, I have spent every waking moment thinking about Riley Adams.

Hell, the way her smile lit her whole face up after I gave her the game-winning puck is ingrained in my brain.

Now, as I sat across the table from her, I couldn't stop staring at her. We were sitting in a booth in the back of a local restaurant, and Riley was telling me a story, avidly waving her hands around as she spoke.

Her rogue plump lips were moving at such a fast pace, and sometimes I wondered what would happen if I just leaned across the table and-

"Are you even listening, Mase?" Riley snapped me out of my daze, her eyebrow quirked up as she stared at me.

Clearing my throat, I tried not to think about the undeniable blush that is taking over my face right now. "Yes."

"What was the last thing I said?"

Yikes.

"Okay, I'm sorry."

"What were you even thinking about?"

Definitely not kissing you, Riley. Definitely not that.

After having her at my game and seeing her in my jersey, I felt like a switch had been flipped off inside me when it came to Riley. All of these little things about her that I haven't noticed until now. Like the way her hips swayed as she walked or how her head tilted back every time she laughed hard. And I definitely haven't noticed the way she bites her lip as she studies the menu at restaurants before.

It has only been a month or two since Riley and Liam broke up, and Riles is nowhere close to being ready for a new relationship. Hell, neither am I. But... that doesn't mean I don't find myself thinking about how her lips would feel against mine and if they're as soft as they look.

"Nothin'." I lied.

"You know I don't think you're telling the truth. I-" Riley's phone cut her off as it rang from inside of her purse. "Hold on, it's my grandma."

I nodded and reached into my pocket for my own phone. Aside from a few texts from our team group message, nothing important has happened since I've been out with Riley.

"What?" Riley sat up straighter, and she rested her hand on her chest, right above her heart. "I-I haven't heard anything about that."

Listen, I'm a nosey motherfucker. I love other people's drama, which is part of the reason I don't mind watching reality TV with Riley. But whatever conversation she was having with her grandma seemed pretty serious.

Riley's carefree attitude from a few moments ago was long gone, and her smile was replaced with a stressed frown.

"Are you... Are you going to evacuate? What are they saying, MawMaw? Are they telling you to leave yet?"