chapter 10- closing

---- RILEY ----

---- RILEY ----

i'm not okay - adam melchor 

When class rolled around on Monday morning, I was nearly sick to my stomach. 

Ever since Mason bumped into me at the cafe, my stomach has been in knots. Seeing him was the last thing I had expected, and it only made Liam's mood take a turn for the worse.

As soon as we had gotten to the parking lot, Liam dropped my hand that he was holding, and his jaw was clenched shut. I could also make out the vein on the side of his head that was thumping with the increasing rise of his blood pressure. His posture was extremely stiff as he drove, and when I tried to ask him about his plans for the upcoming week, Liam's knuckles turned white, and his grip on the steering wheel only tightened.

On top of the whole ticking time bomb that is my relationship was also the situation that I'm in with Mason. He had made it to class this morning with less than a minute to spare and took a seat at the very end of our row. The entire class period, I found myself sneaking glances in his direction. Each time I was hoping he would lift his head and our eyes would lock, but he never once looked over at me. For some reason, his coldness and change in attitude made my heart ache and my stomach sink.

I know that this whole situation that we are in is my fault, but I still can't bring myself to fix it. The anger and disappointment that Liam had unleashed on me was something that he had not done in years, and I was willing to do anything in my power to make sure it never happened again.

So understandably, my anxiety has been through the roof during the last 48 hours.

"Liam visiting was a good surprise, wasn't it?" Hope asks as she cut up fruit for Avery's lunch.

"Yes!" I grin. "It was so good to see him."

Connor scoffs and takes a sip of his coffee. "It was definitely something."

All weekend Connor and Liam were in some pissing contest with one another. They barely spoke a word to each other unless directly spoken to, and even then, they kept it short (but not so sweet).  I knew that Connor had been biting his tongue all weekend to keep from bringing up what he saw Friday night, and for that, I was thankful. If he had said anything, Liam would have acted irrationally and most likely said something terrible.

But I was getting tired of having their conflicts hanging over my head. It created tension between everyone in the house, which was so thick it was almost suffocating.

"What's your problem with him?" I question Connor.

"Are you serious, Riley?" Connor sets his coffee down on the counter and brushes his fingers through his hair. "He was all up in your face, and the things he was saying to you... they were terrible!"

"He was just upset-"

"He called you a whore! Your own boyfriend called you a whore, Riley, and he actually meant it. That's not okay. Ever."