chapter 24 - thanksgiving

- - - - MASON - - - - snow on the beach (ft

snow on the beach (ft. lana del rey) - taylor swift

Standing over the stove, I mindlessly sauteed vegetables as my mom moved around the kitchen behind me.

My mom arrived right after I finished class this morning, and when I finally got back to the apartment, she was standing on the doorstep with open arms.

Although I've gotten used to the distance and not being able to see my mom unless one of us hops on a plane, it's still hard. For as long as I can remember, it's only been the two of us, and I would be lying if I said I didn't feel any guilt for leaving her in Massachusetts.

Having her here in Texas makes all the world of difference.

"So when is she coming over?"

"Mom-"

"It's just a question, Mason Reid." My mom sassed. One hand was on her hip, and the other was holding a wooden spoon.

"She should be here by 6:30."

"And is she spending the night? Tell me everything!" My mom happily clapped her hands. "This is the first girlfriend since-"

"She's not my girlfriend, Ma." All of a sudden, I could feel heat rise from the base of my neck all the way up to my ears. I'm not sure if it was the embarrassment of my mom calling Riley my girlfriend or if it was the mentioning of Lindsay.

"Mason..." My mom's expression was solemn as she looked at me. She knew little of the details of what had gone on between Lindsay and me, but she had seen nearly all of the aftermath.

The first summer after Lindsay and I broke up, I spent almost every day in bed. My mom would knock endlessly, trying her hardest to real me out of my depression, but ultimately she would just leave plates of food outside my door.

"I didn't mean to bring up... I'm sorry." My mom apologized.

Just then, there was a knock on the apartment door.

Riley.

Shaking my head, I pulled my mom in for a quick hug and pecked her on the forehead. "It's all good, Mom."

As I walked toward the front door, I wiped my hands on my jeans. I don't know why I was so terrified for Riley Adams to meet my mom, but man... I could just about shit my pants right now.

Letting out a long breath, I opened the door.

Riley was holding a bottle of wine and a bouquet of roses. She wore an ankle-length black dress with a straight neckline and thin straps. The slit up the right side of the dress was enough to make my mind start to wander.

The things I would do to slip my hands underneath the bottom of that dress and slide the straps down her tan shoulders-

"Hey, Mase." Riley smiled.