chapter 22 - puck

- - - - RILEY - - - - best day ever - mac miller

best day ever - mac miller

"Are these places usually this cold?" Layla hugged herself.

"I told you to bring a jacket." I sassed as we tried to wander through the sea of Troyvens Creek hockey fans.

We had gotten here almost half an hour before warm-ups even started so I was genuinely shocked at how many people were already crowding the arena.

"Okay well it's so hot outside, I really didn't expect it to be freezing in here."

"Layla... they play on ice."

Today was Layla and Hope's first hockey game, and although I tried my best to warn them about the cooler temperatures inside the arena, Layla didn't listen. Hope at least brought a light jacket which she promptly put on as soon as we got inside.

After attending so many of my brothers' hockey games, I had learned to always dress in layers, and today was no different. I had worn a pair of ripped jeans and a Troyvens Creek hoodie, along with Mason's navy jersey on top.

Let me tell you when I got to will call and the woman behind the counter handed me three tickets and a jersey, I almost fainted.

The jersey was an exact replica of the one Mason would be wearing tonight. From the red and white stripes above the elbow down to the 'C' patch on the chest that signaled Mason's captaincy.

I was incredibly grateful that Mason took the time to do all of this for me and also flattered to wear his jersey.

Every once and a while we would pass someone wearing his jersey or a big poster of Mason in all of his hockey gear, staring down at us. Just by looking around Governor's Arena, I could tell how loved he was by his teammates and the Troyvens Creek fan base.

By the time the three of us reached our seats, the boys were already skating out for warm-ups. None of them had their helmets on, so it was easy to tell who was who.

Mason spent the majority of his time by the goal, taking shots and occasionally passing the puck to Codie. Towards the end of warm-ups though, Mason skated over to the boards and scooped up a puck, and tossed it over to a little girl.

"Awww." Hope squeezed my arm from beside me and gushed. "Next time we have to bring Avery. She would love this."

I wordlessly nodded as I kept my gaze on Mason.

I couldn't stop the way my heart sped up as I watched the whole interaction between Mason and the child. The way he waited for the girl's father to snap a picture of the two of them seemed so genuine.

Not many of the other players had taken the time to interact with fans and for Mason to toss a puck over to that little girl was obviously special. Not to mention, that would be a special memory for her for a very long time.