chapter 2- bookstore

---- MASON ----

---- MASON ----

friendship - chris stapleton 

Monday morning was a shitshow. 

I had somehow slept through my first alarm and was barely awake enough to put on my shoes and run out the door.

My dumbass somehow thought that signing up for a 9 a.m. lecture was a good idea. Which, in theory, wouldn't be an issue if I didn't have 6 a.m. workouts, followed by a lift session almost every day. And, of course, you can't forget about my post-practice nap. I mean, how am I supposed to function without a nap?

So here I am, running, across campus, trying my hardest not to trip on the loose, uneven bricks of the sidewalk.

When I signed up to take archaeology at 9 a.m. Codie thought I was absolutely crazy. He may have been right that the class is way too early, however, I surprisingly enjoy history. 

There is just something so captivating about learning how people and societies functioned in the past. A lot of the guys on the team give me a hard time about being a history buff, but it doesn't really bother me.  

Hook Hall is a building that I hadn't stepped foot in for over two years, and despite it being so far from my apartment, it is one of my favorite places on campus. It has this homey feeling and a beautiful view overlooking the estuary Troyven's Creek is known for.

Hook Hall is also the place where a lot of fine arts and history classes are taught. As a sports marketing major, I didn't get to spend nearly enough time in the beautiful building. So I'm glad that I get to take one last class here before graduating.

The lecture hall is mainly full when I finally get there, so I have to grab a seat down in the front. 

I hate sitting in the front. Like, loathe it. 

The awkward eye contact that I am bound to make with my professor at some point is inevitable and also terrifying.

There is a chair open next to a younger-looking basketball player as well as a familiar-looking brunette. As I squint, I realized that it is Riley, Codie's former lab partner. 

Hell, I think to myself, if she was good at biology, she is probably good at archaeology.

"Hey." I nod as I sit down next to her.

"Oh," she pulls her backpack closer to her seat. "Hey, Mason."

"I hope you don't mind me sitting here."

"It's totally fine." She smiles at me from her seat, and I can't help but notice the dimple on her right cheek as she grins.

The professor is quick to start class and go over the syllabus that is being projected at the front of the classroom. The only problem is that he is one of those guys that has a monotone voice that just keeps going and going the entire class.