chapter 20- excited

- - - - RILEY - - - - rose colored glasses - miley cyrus

rose colored glasses - miley cyrus

"Layla! Hope!" I shouted for my roommates as I raced up the front porch steps and threw open the front door.

I was a panting mess by the time I got inside, and I quickly found everyone in the kitchen. And by everyone, I mean everyone. Every single human that lived in the house was currently crowded in our small kitchen.

"What? What happened?" Hope was by my side in an instant; her eyes raking over my body checking me for any injuries. Layla on the other hand was standing next to the refrigerator, her hand full of shredded cheese and halfway up to her open mouth.

"Mason just asked me to go to his game on Friday." I rushed out.

"Like right now?" Layla perked up. "I thought you were at the library?"

"I was." I waved her off. "Look, that's not the important part."

"Well what did you say?" Hope asked.

Connor, who was standing at the kitchen island surrounded by girls and just trying to prepare dinner, cleared his throat. "Should I go?"

"No." Hope, Layla, and I all shushed him at the same time. Connor just nodded and continued chopping vegetables. At this point, he has lived with all three of us to be used to our constant gossiping and endless girl problems. He's actually gotten pretty good at tuning us out when we start having these conversations.

"I said yes."

Layla and Hope shrieked as I spoke, and poor little AJ covered her ears. She was sitting on the counter next to Connor and her blue eyes were the size of saucers as she stared at us. She probably thought her mommy and aunties were absolutely crazy.

"How did this even happen?" Layla asked as her hand was deep inside the shredded cheese bag once more.

I thought back to this afternoon when I decided to text Mason.

For the entirety of my lectures this morning, my mind had been focused on one thing and one thing only: Mason Harisson. While my professors spoke, I found myself reminiscing on our phone call from last night and how happy it had made me. I don't think I have smiled that much in a long long time.

The way Mason's deep voice rumbled on over the phone as he spoke brought me so much peace. I felt like the two of us had been friends forever because it just felt so...right being with him. Not to mention, every once in a while Mason would let out this belly laugh that caused my own laugh to bubble out of me.

Although we had talked for hours last night, seeing Mason today had entirely brightened my day. I enjoyed spending time with him nearly as much as I enjoyed hanging out with Hope, Layla, Connor, and AJ, and that was saying something.

"I asked him if he wanted to meet to do our homework together after I got out of class. He asked me if I wanted to go afterward, when we were finally leaving."

"I can't believe this is happening." Layla mumbled.

Connor scoffed from his spot in the kitchen. Laying the knife down on the counter, he crossed his arms and looked at all of us. "I can."

"And why do you say that?"

"Y'all are telling me you didn't think this would happen after I called him and he showed up to our house with Mexican food? And willingly watched Keeping Up With the Kardashians as Riley sobbed in his arms?"

I inwardly cringed as Connor reminded me of how pitiful I was a couple of weeks ago.

"You did that for me." Hope walked up behind Connor and wrapped her arms around his waist, laying her head on his back.

"Yeah, well, I had been love with you for over 10 years, and we were already dating. So, that's a little bit different, baby." Connor turned and pressed a kiss on Hope's forehead.

"Enough of that." Layla fake gagged and rolled her eyes.

I smiled as I looked around the kitchen.

The four of us were like our own little family nustled away in some tiny college town in the middle of Texas. We had our ups and downs, and sure, we all got on each other's nerves at some point, but I don't think I could have handled living across the country from my family and a breakup without them.

I was eternally grateful for Troyvens Creek bringing me these people.

— — —

That night after I had just gotten out of the shower, my phone lit up with an incoming text.

Mason: 'Haven't changed your mind yet, have you?'

Grinning, I sat down and responded to Mason's text. 'Not unless my invitation has been revoked.'

Mason: 'It definitely has not been. I'm excited to have you at a game.'

Me: 'I'm excited too!!! I haven't been to a game in like over 5 years, I think."

Mason: "Damn. What made you stop?'

Me: 'My brothers stopped playing.'

Mason: 'Didn't go see any Hurricanes games?' I rolled my eyes at the mention of the NHL team in North Carolina.

Me: 'Raleigh is like 3 hours on a good day from my house Mase. Not very convenient.'

Mason: 'Well, one day I'll drag you to an NHL game Riles ;)'

Butterflies erupted in my stomach as I thought about Mason visiting me back home in Coral Bay.

How would my parents like him? Better yet, how would my brothers like him? Would he wake up early to run on the sandy shoreline with me? Or would he sleep in and help my family cook breakfast?

"It's not like that Riley." I sighed and rolled my eyes at my own stupid thoughts.

Mason was never going to come to Coral Bay. He had no reason to make the 1,500-mile trek, and I needed to get it through my thick skull that he and I were barely friends.

Here I was daydreaming about bringing Mason home to my family when we've only known each other for a few months! Not to mention I just got out of a long-term relationship with a boy I was still in love with.

As I was trying to reign in my idiotic dreams and confused feelings, the three little dots reappeared on my phone again. Soon after, another text message from Mason was staring back at me.

Mason: 'I gotta go to bed Riles, but let me know about tickets.'

Mason: 'So fucking pumped that you'll be there :)'

I couldn't stop the way my stomach flipped as I read that text over and over and over again. Knowing that Mason was excited for me to watch him play not only made me happy but also made me a little bit giddy.

For the first time in weeks, I had something that I was actually looking forward to.