31 | dread

This is a new point of view told from the perspective of River, Finn's stepbrother.

River

The ringing of my phone pierced through my deep sleep, rousing me awake. I peeled my eyes open and slowly registered the space that was my room. I rolled to my side where the incessant ringing was coming from and paused dead in my tracks when I saw the naked body of a girl splayed oh-so generously on my bed.

"What the..." I pulled myself up and felt a body stir at my other side. Another girl was buried in the covers, her blond hair the only thing I could make out.

I racked my brain in a hurry, trying to remember how I'd ended up in bed with two girls. Then, flashes of the party I'd graced with my presence last night hit me with all the subtlety of a sledgehammer.

Fucking hell.

I reached over girl number one and grabbed my phone off the lamp table, jumping out of the bed when I saw my mother's name.

I picked it and noticed I was stark naked, with lipstick staining my pale skin. I felt a wave of dizziness hit me when I spotted a few around my crotch area.

"Good morning, mother."

"It's afternoon, River. Have you been asleep?" Her voice, ice cold and sharp, erased any trace of fatigue left in me. I could imagine the irritated scowl marring her perfect face right now.

"No—" I coughed, forcing away all the hoarseness from my voice, "No, of course not."

"I need you to be here in the next hour. I have plans for this afternoon, don't be late."

She hung up before I could reply. I stared at the screen until it went dark. I only had forty minutes to get my shit together.

"Hey!" My voice boomed and both girls got up in shock, their faces confused and sleep ridden. "Party's over, get out!"

They both made noises in protest, fishing out their clothes off the floor and helping themselves into it. They were familiar with the routine.

Get laid, get out.

I left them to it and went into my bathroom. I stared at my reflection in the mirror. I looked like absolute bullshit. I'd been slacking on my physique lately and my skin was lacking lustre. I made a decision to get back on a skin care routine and exercise regimen if I wanted my appearance back in shape before any major event.

I got into the shower and slid it close, hissing when I felt the hot water hit my back. I was sore all over. One of those women must have clawed me to hell and back, insistent on leaving their mark on me. I swore and stepped out as quickly as I'd gotten in. I felt like I was going to be sick. I toweled myself dry, got out a bottle of painkillers from the cabinet and downed a pair. The relief was immediate.

The stubble on my chin made me grimace. Octavia was undoubtedly going to groan about how I needed to maintain a perfect image. Just like everyone else in my family and the people we associated with did. It was something that came with the wealth and status.

Being an actor magnified the whole thing like it wasn't bad enough. Stupid paps were at every corner, cameras ready to catch your look of the day. It was all fun and exciting in the beginning, but now it was nothing but a huge peeve.

When I exited the bathroom, I frowned when I noticed blondie fully clothed but patiently perched on my bed.

"And what the fuck are you still doing here?"

I didn't have time for this. Any minute late and Octavia would feed me to the sharks.

Blondie got up. I had to admit, she had a nice body; tall and graceful. I'd seen her before... on social media mostly. She was a cousin to one of the artists who'd shown up last night. She was into music too, but relied heavily on ambition rather than talent. There were too many like her in New York— easily forgettable.