18 | ice

During the ride to the venue in River's Range Rover, we kept light talk.

"Do you work with Finn?" I asked cautiously, figuring I had to tread lightly with him.

"The family wants me to but I don't. I decided to choose my own path and right now I'm majorly a model and brand ambassador for a lot of big names. Then I took up acting a few years ago." He kept his eyes on the road, lost in thought.

River didn't seem as bad as I thought he'd be. I grinned, "now that you mention it, I think I've seen you in some modeling ads. But I haven't seen any of your movies."

He turned to me for the first time, maintaining eye contact and his lips curved. "I can send you a bunch of my posters and magazine covers. If and only if you promise not to become obsessed and stalk me."

I rolled my eyes. "You wish."

"Oh, it happens. On a very frequent basis."

"Sounds like you've got a lot of crazed fans."

He laughed. "That I can agree with."

The car pulled in front of a small brightly lit building. River helped me out and tossed his keys to one of the valets standing by the entrance.

He lead me in, claiming his reserved space. I overheard a man having a row with the woman at the front desk over reservations, with her politely informing him that spaces needed to be reserved at least a week before due to high demand. The man was livid with anger.

I turned to River. "You reserved this place a week before?" It didn't make sense. It wasn't like he knew he would be coming here. With me at least.

"I did earlier this afternoon. The owner's daughter is a friend of mine. We met on set," he explained, drawing out a seat for me. Ah, the joys of being wealthy and connected.

He ordered for the both of us and I found the complicated food not that bad. Still I wondered what he had planned for later.

After dinner we left and got back into his car.

"You can tell me where we're going now."

River shook his head and leaned over the center console towards me. I jerked back when his hand made for my face. He smiled. "Patience is a virtue."

He started the car and drove, not making any conversation this time around.

He stopped in front of a large domed edifice that looked familiar.

I stared up at the building. "An ice rink? As in, to skate?"

"Correct," he chirped, more excited than I deemed necessary as he hopped out and I did the same. "I'm guessing you do know how to skate."

I narrowed my eyes at him. "You're lucky I can."

"Great."

When we got in, the place was empty as I took in the surroundings. River lead me over to where a man sat behind a counter, half asleep. He snapped his fingers and the employee jerked awake, almost loosing his bucket hat in the process. After we told him our sizes, he fished out two pairs of skates.

"Wait, why is the place so empty?"

"Because I hired it. Just for tonight." He said and grabbed my hand, leading me to a seat.

I stared at him, open mouthed. "That's crazy."

He shrugged and got on one knee, not taking my confirmation before he undid the strap of my heels and slipped my feet into the boots. "But you are impressed, aren't you?"